• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Why am I not refered to someone who can help

H

happygolucky

I am feeling very very sad this morning. This note could belong here or on hearing voices.

In early Dec I harmed myself and went to emerg. I had never successfully self-harmed but wanted to remove the self-depreciating voice out of my head, I was so so frustrated :itwasntme:. I was referred to a crisis centre, but they never got me any help... believe it or not they said that if I needed help, they would come to my house and see feces on the wall.

In the summer last year I went to see them because I started hearing my voice, their voice, my thoughts and I was having thoughts of ending my life for over 3 weeks (at that time). Again I went to the crisis centre and they told me my ADHD and high expectations of myself was the problem and I again did not get help then either.

Yesterday, I wrote to a psychiatrist that I had seen before and she said that she longer had a private practice and that I should go to the crisis centre for help. I told her I'd already done that and she suggested I find a family doctor. The waiting list is 3 years long for that.

The problem is that I present very well, I am articulate, logical, insightful and intelligent. Well, I know that's not a problem, but if I don't come across like "someone with a mental health problem" then they might think I'm malingering (why would I do that? for the drugs? I don't think so!).

I am tempted to go back to the crisis centre and bring them the note I got from the psychiatrist... but I cannot afford to have to explain myself once more; the (removed) makes the slightest amount of stress extremely painful.

So this is my sad story... the "what if's" are whirling in my mind as I try to gentle nudge them to the sidelines. "What if" I can't control myself again and I end up dead! or worse end up in a nursing home for the rest of my life. What if they are wrong and this chemical soup inside me takes the upper hand!

I am so sad, angry, frustrated, but I can't feel those things because they give me a headache... I just want to get out of here *my head*

:floggingdeadhorse: ouch my head!
:cry2: ouch my head!
:scared: ouch my head!
:panic: ouch my head!

Last edited by a moderator:
SarahD

SarahD

Why am I not referred to someone who can help

I am sorry about your problems. I don't know what to advise on getting help because I don't know enough about services in Canada.

You certainly need help. That is some serious self harm, plus risk of suicide. Are you still having voices?

Unfortunately if you come across as articulate and intelligent some people won't be able to see past that to the problems you are experiencing, no matter how real they are. You can suffer mental health problems if you are super bright or super dumb, or anywhere inbetween.

We do have some Canadian members so I hope someone will have some good advice.

C

Christobel

I think the most important thing to emphasise in your dealings with the Mental Heath people is your suicidal thoughts. They have to take that seriously because if you subsequently make an attempt they are responsible - don't give up!

SarahD

SarahD

Hi, I tried to answer earlier but my post was deleted. I am not in Canada, and I hope a member from Canada may be able to give you better advice.

Gajolene

Gajolene

Hi happygo lucky sorry I missed your thread. Where are you in canada? Have you contacted your nearest mental health services office. They can help speed things along for you in terms of doctor priority on the list. And get you the help you need much quicker. Feel free to pm me.

H

happygolucky

I thought I'd share what I learned today... I saw a doctor at a walk-in-clinic who told me why things like I've experienced have happened to me (and many others)... nobody's ever taken the time to explain this so I could understand!!!

In this town there are so many persons with mental health problems that even though there are a fair number of psychiatrists, it is very difficult to have an immediate psychiatry referral unless you are seen at the emerg with the symptoms in progress; and then, what they will do is deal with the immediate crisis, you might see a psychiatrist or be admitted, but once the crisis is over and one is seen to be able to cope, they are sent home with a number of community resources to contact (as their prescription ~my words not theirs~)

Psychiatrists are so busy there is no such thing as being monitored, just crisis management. You can be referred by a family doctor to an outpatient's clinic, but then you are put on an 8 month waiting list - from which the psychiatrist take patients once the fires are out.

This is certainly a sad state of affairs, if it takes 8 months for a whole bunch of psychiatrists to deal with just the emergencies before they can get other ongoing mental health concerns. Very sad indeed, to know there are that many people in crisis! What is happening?

Maybe I could look at it this way...
"help me accept the things I cannot change"
like the system
"give me the courage to change the things I can"
I have a whole 8 months to figure out what I can change and change them
I have a whole 8 months to help others work within system limitations
"and the wisdom to know the difference"
Fight the system, or look at what I can do within, somewhere else or with someone else where I'm not continually meeting a dead end...

What a day! Lot's of slugging!
A sad beginning,
a glimpse of knowledge,
a different perspective,
a sigh of resignation
a sign of hope
... and hopefully a good nights sleep
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Gajolene

Gajolene

City or country services.? Province too would help. I'm sorry I share your frustration with current services with out stupid current government.

Gajolene

Gajolene

I saw a doctor at a walk-in-clinic who told me why things like I've experienced have happened to me (and many others)... nobody's ever taken the time to explain this so I could understand!!!

What is it your trying to understand?

Kerome

Kerome

This is certainly a sad state of affairs, if it takes 8 months for a whole bunch of psychiatrists to deal with just the emergencies before they can get other ongoing mental health concerns. Very sad indeed, to know there are that many people in crisis!
That's true not only in Canada, but in lots of places around the world. It's one reason why so many people embark on the self help path, trying to find various ways to fix themselves in the time between psychiatric appointments.

The other thing you should realise is that most psychiatrists don't do very much beside prescribe pills and medication. So they basically offer very limited help in suppressing the symptoms of illness, often without addressing the core issues themselves.

There are a lot of resources on the forum, I hope you find something that helps you ;)

H

happygolucky

That's true not only in Canada, but in lots of places around the world. It's one reason why so many people embark on the self help path, trying to find various ways to fix themselves in the time between psychiatric appointments.

The other thing you should realise is that most psychiatrists don't do very much beside prescribe pills and medication. So they basically offer very limited help in suppressing the symptoms of illness, often without addressing the core issues themselves.

There are a lot of resources on the forum, I hope you find something that helps you ;)
Thank you Kerome, I don't have the stamina to be on the computer a whole lot and I've really been appreciating what I've seen on this site thus far. Helping myself is what I am forced to do if I don't want to let myself or anyone else that loves me down.

I have been using meditation (with some results), my faith, CBT, mindfulness, and stretching exercises to help my physical pain (due to idleness and other stuff).

I can see your point that psychiatrists may only help with meds, that, as I've previously mentioned tend to numb me rather than help me. I was hoping a psychiatrist would offer a diagnostic update or precision that might help be more specific in the types of therapy I should seek.

:)