Why am I never happy with what I have

R

Rbayxx

Why am I never happy with what I have ? I have nice cars a nice house but still feel lost and what better things like if I was staying in a 3 bedroom apartment for a holiday I would want the penthouse and only then I would be happy maybe not even idk so lost :/

InfiniteRectangles

InfiniteRectangles

We often get wrapped up in material things. I am a bit of a hoarder. I collect lots of things and have a hard time letting things go. I always want more. So I completely understand what you are dealing with. I try to remind myself that I am very fortunate to be where I am now and have the things I do. I have a roof over my head, I can eat whenever I want, I have hundreds of books to read, etc. I have plenty of things that should keep me satisfied, but for some reason they don't. I think one reason we buy so much stuff and envy what others have is to fill some sort of void in our lives. Maybe you could try finding what is missing from your life. That is way easier said than done, I know. Do you have friends? Family? Or are you alone? Sorry if I am not making sense. I guess the point I am trying to make is that we buy/want things to fill the emptiness that we feel inside. Only, it is never enough. We always want more. But try to be grateful for what you have. One thing I do is I keep a gratitude log. I write down one thing I am grateful for each day and it helps remind me of how fortunate I am. Also, tell yourself that you will not be happier in a penthouse. You might feel better for a little while, but that emptiness will come flooding back and you will find yourself unsatisfied once again. I think the only thing you can do is try to get to the root of the problem. Figure out what it is that is making you unhappy, and see what you can do about it. Okay, I'll stop rambling now.

Also, :welcome: to the forum!

R

Rbayxx

I have friends lots of them I did lose my ex fiancé and a little girl as our relationship wasn’t working after 6 years of on and off didn’t help the little girl I bought up wasn’t mine but I helped though all the hard years and now never get to see her idk I just never feel content with anything I buy things then use them and get board and what something else. I bought a jet ski used it over summer then sold it and now a year later I want one again it confusing me
We often get wrapped up in material things. I am a bit of a hoarder. I collect lots of things and have a hard time letting things go. I always want more. So I completely understand what you are dealing with. I try to remind myself that I am very fortunate to be where I am now and have the things I do. I have a roof over my head, I can eat whenever I want, I have hundreds of books to read, etc. I have plenty of things that should keep me satisfied, but for some reason they don't. I think one reason we buy so much stuff and envy what others have is to fill some sort of void in our lives. Maybe you could try finding what is missing from your life. That is way easier said than done, I know. Do you have friends? Family? Or are you alone? Sorry if I am not making sense. I guess the point I am trying to make is that we buy/want things to fill the emptiness that we feel inside. Only, it is never enough. We always want more. But try to be grateful for what you have. One thing I do is I keep a gratitude log. I write down one thing I am grateful for each day and it helps remind me of how fortunate I am. Also, tell yourself that you will not be happier in a penthouse. You might feel better for a little while, but that emptiness will come flooding back and you will find yourself unsatisfied once again. I think the only thing you can do is try to get to the root of the problem. Figure out what it is that is making you unhappy, and see what you can do about it. Okay, I'll stop rambling now.

Also, :welcome: to the forum!

L

letmein

hey mate,

maybe taking some time out just to take a breath of air and relaise whats good and bad in life.

you can clearly see that the items you own don't make you feel happy and only fill the gap for so long.....

I' can't afford to eat this weekend let alone but a jet ski, but i know when i'm eating noodles i'd prefer to be having KFC.....

check out your own wealth and your value against it. Maybe doing something for others, giving your time to help might add value to you life?

good luck in your search, no one should feel so unhappy

LucyInTheSkyWithDiamonds

LucyInTheSkyWithDiamonds

Maybe you're feeling lonely after breaking up with your fiance? I know I don't feel any void in my life when I'm among friends and family. Having a lot of friends doesn't always help, it's those 2-3 people who you trust the most that really matter and are true friends. In my experience you always have a few good friends and the rest are mostly acquaintances. Faith is really important to me too and helps with filling the void. I remember when I was depressed I bought a lot of stuff to cheer myself up but it didn't work at all. Being close with people I loved and their support helped me.

Maybe you could try to go to church unless you're an atheist? You can at least meet nice people there. Or try voluntary work as someone suggested or a new hobby? Something that will give you a feeling of purpose. Take care.

R_Sxo

R_Sxo

Hi Rbayxx,

I think it's important to ask what you're doing this all for. Of course, having a nice house and cars is great, but what's the end goal? What's the meaning behind doing this?

What is your purpose, and what do you really want and need to be happy?x

Much love <3