• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Whwn am i paid ssp from?

J

johnathon84

Hey everyone i was wondering if anybody could help me here please?. I was wonderign if anyone had any experience with ssp and the workplace. Is statutory sick pay only paid from the date my doctor has signed me off from or does it cover days before too?. I wasnt too sure of the situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone.

J

johnathon84

Hey Nikita thank you for the advice. I was thinking about retiring from my current postition due to ill health as it is the current work place which is contributing to my condition very strongly. It would look better for me to resign on indefiite sick note from my gp with his advice. i take it depression and anxiety was one of the big factors to you sick note?. Apologies if im wrong. If so what built to the doctor making this decision?. Any help would be greatly apprecaited. Thank you Nikita.

W

Waverunner

Hi Johnathon84. SSP is paid from day 4 of the sick period (after any sick pay from your employer runs out). It is paid at £87.55 per week and for a maximum of 28 weeks. Take a look at Welcome to GOV.UK for more info. Also, be very careful about resigning as you will not be eligible for benefits for a period of time (I think it's 6 months) if you resign and then claim benefits (this may only apply to JSA though). You may want to consider your employer going through occupational health for dismissal (retirement) based on your ill health. You need to look into this a bit more and get advice from your HR department or Citizens Advice Bureau. Don't make a hurried decision.