• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Who to talk to about my anxiety?

J

Jaybird7

I have had excess anxiety my entire life so far but never really recognized it. But the last year or so it has been getting worse and worse. And I came to grips with my issue and decided to confront it. But I don't know how... anxiety disorders are very common on both sides of my family but no one seems to know where I should go. Who do I talk to about my anxiety? In all honesty, I simply want to know what condition I have more than anything. I finally spoke to my doctor earlier but no direct answer came from him (plus I kinda panicked while talking to him so my question probably wasn't clear).

I'm just curious about what kind of doctor I need to talk to to find what I have and any tips on finding someone around me.

Thank you

C

Coolname

Hi

It is my understanding that only psychiatrists can give official diagnoses. I don't think diagnosis is particularly important and may be an unnecessary expense.

I would think your normal doctor can perscribe SSRI / SNRI meds (prozac, etc,) which are used for anxiety as well as depression.

I would also consider a Counsellor or psychotherapist, with or without meds.

Simply talking things through and getting advice from a good counsellor who is experienced with anxiety may help massively.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy also has a good reputation for treating anxiety. CBT is about analysing your basic beliefs about yourself, others, and the world. It is about identifying thinking patterns and how thoughts trigger emotions. CBT is also about addressing behaviour that is prompted by these thoughts and emotions.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

I empathize, I've lived with Generalized Anxiety Disorder my entire life and it runs in my family too.
A conversation with Mental health professionals helped me. Therapy more than meds helped. Mindfulness practices were fundamental to getting some more control over my thoughts, feelings and finally behaviors.