• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Who thinks your thoughts?A case of mind over matter!

N

Nicola398

What we think affects how we feel and that in turn can actually alter your body and brain chemistry?
How do our bio-medical drug treatment advocates versus alternatives to drug treatment and those who debate what are the real causes of mental illness, think and feel about this statement?Is it true and correct or an unproven supposition?

Who Thinks Your Thoughts? - Waking Times

shaky

shaky

Nice little article.
...but I'm not sure it has much relevance to Mental Illness

Or perhaps put it this way.

When a person is in command of themselves and rational (relatively) they can practice these things.
But mental illness overwhelms the rational, logical, calm, sensible parts of the mind
Then it is impossible to overcome the pain and torment with simple tricks like this.

Perhaps mindfulness, stepping back, being the observer should be taught inscholls to prepare people for their lives ahead.
But it is too late by the time one is actually ill.

Thanks for the post, though, Nicola:)

shaky

shaky

Corollary:
I am trying to adopt the thrust of this article and be the observer of my thoughts/emotions, rather than live as if those thoughts and emotions are me.
I am the watcher.
I don't need to be caught up in the emotions.

But it's easy to see that sitting here
But terribly hard out in the world
And when my emotions start to run wild

Jonwal

Jonwal

It's not our thoughts that our the problem it's our lives. Our thoughts are just a by product :D

Jonwal

Jonwal

Society is a frustration for me. Social controls! I feel my thoughts but it's unusual for me to be aware. Truly aware where I'm actually learning and developing. It's not just our minds it's our body spirit society we are part of a bigger picture and living well is about I believe attuneing oneself and being aware and not effected by negatives simply being aware they are there and taking ones time to enjoy there life and make of it what they will.

L

lovagemuffin

you ARE your thoughts is better than I am what I eat LOL

shaky

shaky

...but if you accept that your thoughts are not you....?

One of the tactics that we who hear voices adopt is to just not take the voices seriously. To listen to them perhaps, but not treat them as gospel. To realise that they are separate from myself and not be governed by them

Well, if I do that to the thoughts in my head that I consider to be me...
..then I am freed from the tyranny of those thoughts, those emotions, those desires.

And even if life, society, luck are all against me
I can be serene

(This is very good in theory, but in practice it is so difficult)

L

lovagemuffin

if im not aware I cant catch myself last night I was hearing voices and it seems real even if it isn't I cant just unhear the voices. even when I know theyre not there:scratcheshead:

shaky

shaky

if im not aware I cant catch myself last night I was hearing voices and it seems real even if it isn't I cant just unhear the voices. even when I know theyre not there:scratcheshead:
It's not about unhearing voices
Or not being there
It's about not taking them seriously
Like if a boring person is talking, you just don't bother listening to what he is saying
Or someone you disagree with - you don't take on board what they say. Especially if you know they are irreconcilably opposite to your viewpoint. There's just no point getting involved or upset. Just let them rattle on about their stupid opinions until they go away.

L

lovagemuffin

im too feeling not enough in my head I think I feel scared when I hear the voices wish I didn't.

L

lovagemuffin

Sorry I refuse to talk anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Nicola398

Nice little article.
...but I'm not sure it has much relevance to Mental Illness

Or perhaps put it this way.

When a person is in command of themselves and rational (relatively) they can practice these things.
But mental illness overwhelms the rational, logical, calm, sensible parts of the mind
Then it is impossible to overcome the pain and torment with simple tricks like this.

Perhaps mindfulness, stepping back, being the observer should be taught inscholls to prepare people for their lives ahead.
But it is too late by the time one is actually ill.

Thanks for the post, though, Nicola:)
I think what you are saying here is true to a certain extent,things have gone seriously wrong if we are mentally ill.But I think the thrust of the article is saying we can use this to stay well and when things do go badly wrong we can also use it to heal, potentially, it might not be easily as it sounds written down in theory,but it is possible.If mental illness is caused by thoughts and emotions affecting chemical changes in the body then using the same methods we can reverse it and heal the mental illness too and restore chemical balance.Mind over matter,so to speak!I agree though that MI does result in irrationality, confused and negative states and delusions and lack of insight.I guess you need insight,control and capacity for this to work!

Gajolene

Gajolene

if im not aware I cant catch myself last night I was hearing voices and it seems real even if it isn't I cant just unhear the voices. even when I know theyre not there.
Remember for a lot of people they never gain "insight" that they're voices are "not there", in this reality, or on this existential plane. They are there for you, and they are as real to you, and anyone here talking. It's differentiating the realities and planes and trying not to mix the two that seems to me the hardest thing to do for anyone who hears voices.