• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Which way to turn

Willow

Willow

Hi guys...

I wonder if you can help me.

Ive been an OCD sufferer .........forever! It took the form of many different guises but just now I am plagued with rituals and ruminations which are running and ruining my life. I thought enough was enough and went to my GP who have referred to the Mental Health Trust hospital to be assessed. The thing is, I am on the verge of bottling out because I have this fear that they're gonna lock me up!

My traits are opening and shutting doors repeatedly - i dont open windows anymore because that would take me toooo long. I have a real problem with shampoo bottles/washing up bottles - any squeezy bottles in that I would squeeze it to excess. For example, one large shampoo bottle will only last me 3 washes and we all know how expensive shampoo is. I have to do shed loads of ruminations and rituals.

On my hospital form, i need to outline what my problems are... I could do this but because there are so many and they do run my life, im afraid that if i do submit the form, the preferbial 'men in white coats' will come and get me.

Has anyone had to fill out the form? do you know how bad you have to be before you are locked up or sectioned?

Many thanks :unsure:

Aahbut

Aahbut

Hi Willow, I know little about OCD, just what the average non sufferer does I guess. A thought that just crossed my mind after I read your post was, if you bought shampoo in those pump bottle would that still constitute squeezing? I don't know, but if it didn't you can get washing up liquid and all sorts in the pump bottles.

Take care.

J

jamesdean

hi willow i dont think the men in white coats will come perhaps u need 2 explain the extent of your ocd in how many hours of the day it takes up, i cannot image how u feel i've only really had a couple 1, was in my old flat i was only allowed 2 go out so many times in a week because i would be in danger if i locked the door more than the amount of times, i think it was about 4 out of 7 n these days i try 2 not open the fridge door 2 many times i panic a little if i feel it becomes excessive amount of times a day, n washing my hands but i think thats a good thing. take care jd

Willow

Willow

Hey, thanks for your replies.

Hmmm how many hours of the day does it take up? practically all of them.

The only time im free from the rituals is when im out of the flat but the ruminations continue.

Im assuming this form is to assess whether i need CBT or Psychotherapy but I dont want to put too much in the form cos they'll think im a complete nutter (sorry if anyone finds that offensive but its meant only in jest :)) but then if i put too little then they will be unable to offer me the proper help....

Oh pants... im really in a quandry.

:unsure:

J

jamesdean

i think u have got 2 b honest because this will make an impact on your treatment, n they shouldnt think in terms"hes a nutter" they r paid good money 2 help u, n my guess is it must get u reallt frustrated, we tend 2 use the word :mad:mostly here take care jd

pegasus

pegasus

Hello Willow,

I am glad you are going for an assessment, good for you. You really don't need to be worrying about being sectioned. You only get sectioned if you are a danger to yourself or other people. Also remember that the professionals have heard it all, they won't be shocked and they do really want to help.

Put as much as what feels comfortable for you on the form, best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Willow

Willow

Thanks again for your replies. Im feeling a tad anxious about it all. I used to self-harm but don't anymore.... I was gonna say that on the form but I wont now.

Now the next question !! It gives me the opportunity on the form to have copy letters ie. letters sent to my GP. Would you tick yes to this? I mean, presumably, what they tell your GP is what they should have told you....