• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Which type of talking therapy?

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

I'm thinking seriously about asking my GP for some sort of talking therapy, but I'm not sure what I want. I've had 2 lots of counselling in relatively recent years which seemed to do nothing and left me feeling misunderstood. I'm not sure about CBT as I gather that you need to work on things yourself between sessions, which I think might be a problem due to memory/concentration/motivation issues (I started treatment for a physical problem but could never remember to do the prescribed exercises). I thought about trying computerised CBT which my employer apparently offers as I'm always on this blinking computer! I feel I need something that addresses deeper issues past and present, and would prefer NHS. Any suggestions?

A

Apotheosis

I feel I need something that addresses deeper issues past and present, and would prefer NHS. Any suggestions?
This is the problem that I have too. I don't think that you will find anything of any depth on the NHS. Such approaches are not available on the NHS.

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
I think if you ask for a referral to psychological services in your area, your assessment appointment should help the psychologist assess what sort of therapy is the most appropriate for you. There is generally a long waiting list though, be warned. I found CBT approaches to be difficult to put into practice when I was very low - could get it intellectually but not emotionally. My psychologist was good at helping me work out (healthy) coping strategies.

There are a few free CBT online courses - MoodGym and Living Life to the Full - but it is difficult to do it on your own, or at least that was my experience - just made me feel worse about myself which I'm sure isn't the aim!

HTH.

dib4uk

dib4uk

Well i'm on the waiting list for pyshodynmic psychotherapy on the NHS as i have deep seated problems too.

Unsure if its group therapy or one to one. Although group was mentioned if i can rememeber correctly.

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Well I went to the doc today and asked him for a referral to the mental health team so I can access something more than counselling. I'm told they will get back to me quite promptly so fingers crossed. :scared: