• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Which medication is best for BPD?

Z

ZoeZoe

Hi, I have BPD, anxiety, depression and a load of other fun fun fun things going on. I have always refused medication and tried to "naturally rewire my brain" to be well and see therapists and read books etc. But I'm starting to get very very tired of this constant trying. I wondered if there is a medication that has been found to be helpful with BPD? My main concern is overwhelming emotions, they cripple me daily and are such hard work to try and stabilise. Any advice? I am in the UK. Thank you.

chewy

chewy

That's also one of my concern especially now. I stopped taking medication 5 months ago and I thought I can handle myself without any meds. I consulted again with my doctor and she said that i need to take it again and maybe we can slowly remove it and have a drug holiday. I'm taking Depakote, feliz and Quetadin.

Try to consult with your doctor so that they can prescribed meds that is suitable for you. :)

bpd2020

bpd2020

There is not a medication for bpd but there are medications to treat the depression, anxiety and mood intensities. As you have anxiety you could try an antianxiety medication. For your depression you could try an antidepressant. Some people find a mood stabiliser helpful for keeping their moods level.

P

Pollypop

There are also some meds that treat depression and anxiety together.
ie. one tablet for both.

N

Nukelavee

BPD is right - meds don't work on BPD itself, but they do work on associated issues, like depression and anxiety.

I'm on small doses of Venlafaxine, Mirtazapine, and Rexulti, to keep my depression and anxiety under control, which makes dealing with the rest of my issues easier.

EarthChild

EarthChild

I have schizoaffective disorder as well as BPD and take two antipsychotics and a mood stabiliser. They help with my mood swings and aggression. But I still get some irritable mood and anger sometimes. So I guess that's where therapy would help.

Z

ZoeZoe

Thank you all for your advice, info and personal experience. I really appreciate it :) and will look into the best option for me.

R

reginarage

I am on a mood stabilizer and it has helped TREMENDOUSLY with keeping my extreme emotions under wraps. Everyone reacts differently to different medications and I was terrified before trying one - as I'm sure we all are - but I am so glad that I did! I'm too scared to switch as altering meds has always been scary for me so I feel blessed to have found my match on the first try. Best of luck to you!!!

Z

ZoeZoe

I am on a mood stabilizer and it has helped TREMENDOUSLY with keeping my extreme emotions under wraps. Everyone reacts differently to different medications and I was terrified before trying one - as I'm sure we all are - but I am so glad that I did! I'm too scared to switch as altering meds has always been scary for me so I feel blessed to have found my match on the first try. Best of luck to you!!!
That's great to hear! I'd love to stop having such extreme emotional reactions to things and instead have a stable balanced response.

I'd prescribe fresh mountain air and long walks in the wilderness 🙂
I totally agree. I'm a bit of a hippie spiritual type, and think that a portion of our problems can be solved by nature and fresh air (and dogs!) :D

Zaz2020

Zaz2020

Mother Nature is a great healer and a dog is such a loyal companion. I used to be a hippie but I'm more spiritual now. Still got the hair though lol 🙂

O

On Fire

Aripiprazole has really worked for me. I was diagnosed with Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder, however possibly also have schizophrenia (which I was diagnosed with previously).

O

On Fire

Lugnut

Lugnut

I understand trying to get better naturally, I tried that for years too after I'd been on about 5-6 different medications and nothing had worked. I eventually ended up in hospital though and tried 2 more different pills with little success, but I am on bupropion (wellbutrin for the yanks) now and that seems to be okay. It also has little side effects compared to other meds so might be worth looking into