Which anti-depressants work?

B

BPB1984

Anti-depressants have never worked for me in the past but I'm desperate now and I'll try anything. What ones are best? I need something really strong that's gonna work.

Thanks
Barry

F

Fallingfromthetop

I think it can be highly individual. Might be you gotta test a few to know for sure. My brother has a variant that stop serotonin from getting assimilated back in system, creating a higher concentration of it in brain. He had fairly mild depression though

B

BPB1984

My depression is severe, and I'm not sure I have enough time to spend 6 months at a time testing meds.

C

Costas

Anti-depressants have never worked for me in the past but I'm desperate now and I'll try anything. What ones are best? I need something really strong that's gonna work.

Thanks
Barry
Have you tried Clomipramine? Google Clomipramine reviews - you'll

Thanks
Barry
Have you tried Clomipramine?

B

BPB1984

Have you tried Clomipramine? Google Clomipramine reviews - you'll

Have you tried Clomipramine?
Haven't been on anything for years...gonna make doc appointment tomorrow but that's gonna be a 3 week wait, then 6 week wait for tabs to start working then 6 month wait before trying different ones. If first tablets I'm given don't work then I'm taking it asca sign.

Jef Costello

Jef Costello

Highly individual. I've been on escitalopram, fluoxetine, bupropion, fluvoxamine, mirtazapine, duloxetine and amitriptyline. Only thing that worked decent for my anxiety was duloxetine but the side effects were very unpleasant and so was the withdrawal. Neither of these did anything for my depression. It's not a question of strongest really, it's a question of which medication gives you an adequate response for recovery. Clomipramine is considered one of the last resort medications because of the possible side effects. Clomipramine is given IV for emergency cases and severely depressed people admitted to the ward here. Takes a few days of treatment before it evens you out though. Could be worth asking for a TCA or an older AD.
Personally, I don't like or believe in SSRI's at all, unless they're combined with something. Like sertraline and reboxetine. My new psychiatrist doesn't work with SSRI's at all, besides fluoxetine, so I'll see what he'll give me when he gets back.

G

Girl interupted

Everyone’s body chemistry is different. What works for me may not work for you. It, unfortunately, becomes a period of trial and error until you find the right one for your brain’s chemistry.

That said, anti-depressants aren’t a cure-all. If you are not actively participating in ongoing therapy, the best you can hope for is a numbing principle. The depression will continue forever if you don’t work on identifying the cause. Work hard with your therapist and partner it with the anti-depressant to ultimately remove the depression and feel healthier.

But you can’t do it with drugs alone.

B

BPB1984

Everyone’s body chemistry is different. What works for me may not work for you. It, unfortunately, becomes a period of trial and error until you find the right one for your brain’s chemistry.

That said, anti-depressants aren’t a cure-all. If you are not actively participating in ongoing therapy, the best you can hope for is a numbing principle. The depression will continue forever if you don’t work on identifying the cause. Work hard with your therapist and partner it with the anti-depressant to ultimately remove the depression and feel healthier.

But you can’t do it with drugs alone.
Therapy isn't available where I am, so can't delve into the root cause. The only option is 8 counselling sessions (which I've done, twice) which focus on coping strategies. I get that there is no cure but i need something that helps cus right now I'm losing the battle

B

BPB1984

Highly individual. I've been on escitalopram, fluoxetine, bupropion, fluvoxamine, mirtazapine, duloxetine and amitriptyline. Only thing that worked decent for my anxiety was duloxetine but the side effects were very unpleasant and so was the withdrawal. Neither of these did anything for my depression. It's not a question of strongest really, it's a question of which medication gives you an adequate response for recovery. Clomipramine is considered one of the last resort medications because of the possible side effects. Clomipramine is given IV for emergency cases and severely depressed people admitted to the ward here. Takes a few days of treatment before it evens you out though. Could be worth asking for a TCA or an older AD.
Personally, I don't like or believe in SSRI's at all, unless they're combined with something. Like sertraline and reboxetine. My new psychiatrist doesn't work with SSRI's at all, besides fluoxetine, so I'll see what he'll give me when he gets back.
I see a lot of people talking about psychiatrists...we don't get that option where I'm from, unless you pay for it. In terms of the meds, I'd say I'm a severe case and i need something that will work, regardless of the side effects

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

n0thing as the last time i was 0n meds i ended up in hospital due to a sudden severe reaction. i am going commando style going with n0thing. h0w l0ng i can keep this g0ing wh0 kn0ws. n0t in a brill headspace at the m0

G

Girl interupted

Therapy isn't available where I am, so can't delve into the root cause. The only option is 8 counselling sessions (which I've done, twice) which focus on coping strategies. I get that there is no cure but i need something that helps cus right now I'm losing the battle

If you get to a tipping point, please go to the emergency room.

Medication will only dull the feeling. It won’t make it go away. Try to find a way, there are some doctors who are now doing therapy by Skype.

fazza

fazza

I may be poking about in the wrong section here as I have schizophrenia but also suffer from depression. A couple of doctors have suggested changing my diagnosis to schizo affective.

Then only thing that has helped with my depression is lurasidone (Latuda) it an anti psychotic but it has been found to work great on depression.. I also take lithium which in combination with the Latuda really has lifted my mood and balanced me out.
good luck.

B

BPB1984

n0thing as the last time i was 0n meds i ended up in hospital due to a sudden severe reaction. i am going commando style going with n0thing. h0w l0ng i can keep this g0ing wh0 kn0ws. n0t in a brill headspace at the m0
That's pretty much what I'm doing as well.

B

BPB1984

If you get to a tipping point, please go to the emergency room.

Medication will only dull the feeling. It won’t make it go away. Try to find a way, there are some doctors who are now doing therapy by Skype.
Then what do I do? If the feeling won't go away am I supposed to just suffer and endure? I've been to doctors on many occasions about this and its always the same outcome, the same thing said. If I go to A&E I'll be waiting 5 hours for a different doctor to tell me the same things

G

Girl interupted

Ask your doctor about quetiapine. Off label it’s used to help with sleep, but it has a stabilizing aspect to it, too.

I’m just worried you’ll use that and then when it stops working, because they all seem to do that eventually, you will be worse off than before because you haven’t addressed the cause.

I don’t know you, but I want you to get better. Chemical control of depression can have adverse affects.