• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

where to start with asking for help and getting an assessment for bipolar.

N

Nink29

Hello long post,

I have suffered with depression PTSD and Post natal depression, over the years i feel that i am in a place now we’re it is more then that! i have been on medication the last 5 years citalopram which i want to come off when i do have a break from them which i have the past month or so i just feel like i am worse then i have ever been, i have circles or anger frustration like i’m going to explode at the littlest thing, even someone breathing or touching me can make feel also angry! and then i go into this guilt and depressive mood when i feel worthless and rubbish i don’t want to be here anymore i hate myself. then i will have weeks where i’m happy but it’s impulsive and intense i can be full on i make plans that so feel needed doing straight away they can be so unrealistic, i spend money like i have no care in the world i’m in a lot of debt because of it! i put a lot of pressure on myself to have thing a certain way and this can cause me to become distressed when it doesn’t go to plan. i also find it hard to concentrate like my brains on overload i have to write things down so i remember things.

This is just a quick version

What are peoples thoughts?

Also i don’t know where to start i am having private counselling which i have just started last week, but when i go to the docs they just talk about my meds but i feel it’s more then that that’s just putting a plaster on it i want to understand why i feel like this and then if this i have be able to come to terms with it.

any advice welcome x

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
The first place to go is your GP and see if they can help you first.

Have you ever spoken to the GP before about your mental health?

N

Nink29

The first place to go is your GP and see if they can help you first.

Have you ever spoken to the GP before about your mental health?
yes i have lots in the past the always just put me on medication and refer me for councelling, i feel this is the option!

do i say i think i might have bipolar?

C

celticlass

Why do you want to come off Citalopram? Clearly you need to discuss this with your GP if you are not open to Mental Health at this time. I was asking about the anti-depressant as in someone with bipolar taking them can trigger mania. You are saying you feel angry and this is sometimes present with mania.

N

Nink29

Why do you want to come off Citalopram? Clearly you need to discuss this with your GP if you are not open to Mental Health at this time. I was asking about the anti-depressant as in someone with bipolar taking them can trigger mania. You are saying you feel angry and this is sometimes present with mania.
[/

Because i want to understand why i feel the way i do and learn to live with myself which is feeling this way! citalopram was ment to be a short term solution it’s been 5 years now and it’s just numbs me over.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
It does sound like hypo/mania to me.
Have you ever tried a mood stabiliser? You could discuss that with the doctor and then they would likely refer you to a psychiatrist if it is medication related, to review your medication. A GP i don't think can prescribe a mood stabiliser and you would need a diagnosis before starting that sort of medication, as far as i know.

With covid, i'm not sure how or how soon you would be seen.

Citalopram might help but anti depressants can also make people with bipolar disorder feel much worse. You could try a different anti depressant in the mean time.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide

N

Nink29

It does sound like hypo/mania to me.
Have you ever tried a mood stabiliser? You could discuss that with the doctor and then they would likely refer you to a psychiatrist if it is medication related, to review your medication. A GP i don't think can prescribe a mood stabiliser and you would need a diagnosis before starting that sort of medication, as far as i know.

With covid, i'm not sure how or how soon you would be seen.

Citalopram might help but anti depressants can also make people with bipolar disorder feel much worse. You could try a different anti depressant in the mean time.

Thank-you

i know it sounds daft but how did you get diagnosed? did you go through your GP?
what’s the process? do you get referred from your GP to a physiatrist and then assessed and diagnosed? x

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Thank-you

i know it sounds daft but how did you get diagnosed? did you go through your GP?
what’s the process? do you get referred from your GP to a physiatrist and then assessed and diagnosed? x
If the gp thinks you need to see a psychiatrist, they will refer you. That would be if they suspect bipolar and if they don't feel they can help you themselves.

If you want to be assessed for a diagnosis and to skip the nhs process, you could make an appointment with a private psychiatrist which is quite a lot of money. Three hundred roughly i think, not sure what it is now.

It depends on your gp, and depends on the rules with your local mental health team and what their process is.

Sometimes you could be referred to the mental health team and see a nurse who will assess you. They cannot formally diagnose but can suggest what they think you might have.

Psychiatrists prescribe medication so i don't know if you could see one unless you want medication, but i am not certain.

Please call your gp for information in your area. You cannot bypass the gp unless you are very unwell and need to call 111 or are taken to A&E.

It is not something you can choose yourself, you have to be assessed by the gp.

You have to call your GP.

C

celticlass

I'm not sure about this. You say citalopram numbs you but you talk of feeling anger. When I was on citalopram I felt like I was literally shaking inside. I would say you need to taper off it gradually, then spend a period without it to see what you are like. If you are bipolar though it is unlikely you would manage without some medication. Good luck. I was asked at one point to keep a mood diary so that might be helpful to start.

N

Nink29

I'm not sure about this. You say citalopram numbs you but you talk of feeling anger. When I was on citalopram I felt like I was literally shaking inside. I would say you need to taper off it gradually, then spend a period without it to see what you are like. If you are bipolar though it is unlikely you would manage without some medication. Good luck. I was asked at one point to keep a mood diary so that might be helpful to start.
so when i’m on my meds that’s how i feel i know there’s and issue but it numbs me and i don’t feel any emotion almost and i feel like it happens way less! when i’m not on my citalopram then i’m at my worst! and can’t cope that’s what’s made it come to a head because i’m not on my meds and i can’t continue to live like this! it’s exhausting!