• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Where do religious beliefs end and delusions begin?

J

johnredden92

Was just curious about what would be considered a religious delusion. Sounds like kind of a gray area.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
It’s strange cos in the bible god speaks to people and they also have visions (the burning bush etc) if that happened now the person would be thought to be psychotic yet billions of people take this as perfectly normal when put into the written word. I’m not trying to belittle anyone’s faith but just try and think of it in a modern day setting and how you would react if someone said to you that god has spoken to them and that you must behave in a certain way. I think the majority would think that they were mentally ill

J

johnredden92

Right. It seems like an area psychiatrists don't want to confront much because people can be sensitive about religion. I guess I'm just worried I have religious delusions but who gets to decide what is and isn't a valid belief.

L

linus

From the medical pov a religious belief is not a delusion as long it is something that you were educated about in your family/community. Any kind of epiphany out of no context can be considered a delusion from a pathological pov

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
That's a tough question but a good one.

If Christianity never existed and I went around telling people what the bible says they'd call me delusional, not one but two places where we can go when we die, a heaven for good people and a hell for the bad. An all knowing, all seeing omnipotent God that created everything we've ever known, a son who died and was resurrected that could turn water into wine, walk on water and heal the sick with just a touch of his hands then everyone would call me crazy but because millions of people world wide believe the same thing it's a religion.

As it is a religion I suppose you're delusional if you think you are Jesus or at least the next incarnation of Jesus or try to weave yourself into it somehow or add to it.

Socrates the ancient Greek philosopher was a voice hearer and was accused of trying to add new deities to the pantheon of Greek gods and goddesses and corrupting the minds of the young so was sentenced to death for his beliefs.

Moses heard a voice that claimed to be God, was given an hallucination of a burning bush and given 10 commandments as was immortalised in history for it. Same condition, different fates.

One was judged to be crazy and one was judged not to be.

pepecat

pepecat

I think delusions would be things like thinking you're God, have been told to kill loads of people, or to save the world by doing xyz, or the you had to save a very specific group of people from hell - for example.
In my experience God doesn't work that way, (by asking us to do stuff like that) so it's a fairly decent way of telling the difference between delusion and belief.

FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

I do not entertain anything remotely religious as I know my flaws and they do not help me rationalise things at all.

I am not an atheist anymore, but I think the whole concept of religion is akin to a mass delusion and that is not good for the Schizophrenic mind.

We need certain facts. Something this disputable is not a good mix with psychosis

FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

I had my own religion when I was psychotic. Why is it wrong to have one but not the other?