• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Where did you go wrong? What started ur depression

J

Johntron9999

What was the start that you remember where things went down hill? I had a normal life until around 17 and I was self conscious about my appearance and it started sever depression and social anxiety in myself. I avoided friends, eventually quit work and just wanted to be by myself. I can say that was the start for me how about you?

E

Earl J

My business failing caused mine. That was 12yrs ago, then there was 6 yrs of different drugs and different psychs until finally I got the right mix and I’ve been good now for six yrs.

J

jamraspberry

I started having depression from childhood because of my anxiety.

J

Johntron9999

My business failing caused mine. That was 12yrs ago, then there was 6 yrs of different drugs and different psychs until finally I got the right mix and I’ve been good now for six yrs.
im in that same process of trying different drugs. which ones were the right ones to work for you? also which ones did you try? thanks just curious!

P

Princess Zelda

It really started when I was thirteen I think. I started realizing how much of a failure I was. My grades in school got worse because I lost interest and couldn't concentrate, especially with math (as an adult I found out I have dyscalculia). Teachers thought I was being a troublemaker when I really wasn't. I was always quiet and stayed out of drama. I was called stupid by teachers and classmates.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I hope you get better soon.

E

Elphie10

I think I've had depression since I was very young but it's been on and off. It's been worse since I was made redundant and was unemployed for a few months in 2018.

Antimatter

Antimatter

Nice 🙂 a happy story 🙂

Antimatter

Antimatter

I had an abusive older brother, I am tough but passive so took it. Parents did almost nothing to potect me, as an adult he spiked me with an acid trip and didn't tell me whilst at work (I actually got him the job).
This is only scratching the surface, I am amazed how strong I have been.

K

karl7

What was the start that you remember where things went down hill? I had a normal life until around 17 and I was self conscious about my appearance and it started sever depression and social anxiety in myself. I avoided friends, eventually quit work and just wanted to be by myself. I can say that was the start for me how about you?
the start for me would have been 12 at school.....i had a psycho teacher.....and then at 13 i started getting bullied badly.

A

aisha23

I guess my depression comes from basically being unable to do anything indipendently

having no control over half my body means that I need daily round the clock help with basic tasks, tasks that people take for granted

for example: I can't just get up and walk in to the garden for fresh air, I actually need someone to physically transfer me to my chair, and wheel me out their- and that's just the luxuries

getting me ready on a daily bases is a nightmare and this is as good as it's going to get. I am always going to require the help of someone, that's a lot to take in especially at my age (23)

but also comes with so many other things. people constantly making fun of you for example, or every little thing I do risk assessed. my life isn't a life, it's an imprissonment

but then their's also the question... well what do I do with myself

I've been told I can't work, and it's very likely that i'm going to need 4/ 5 medications the rest of my life, so in 5 years time.. sat here playing on the computer?

okay it's not that bad.. I know my carer tries her best to take me places and to do things with me, but think about it... that's my life.

I'm always going to feel like I've missed out on so much

E

Earl J

Hi John, my GP tried a load of different antidepressants that didn’t work then he referred me to a psych who diagnosed that I was clinically depressed and prescribed Effexor XL this kinda worked in that I was relatively normal but emotionally numb. I couldn’t even cry when my father died. So I went to a different psych and he diagnosed Bipolar 2 and changed meds to Citalopram 30mg in winter and 20mg summer, Lamictal 150 morning and night time and Quetiapine 75mg. It seems an awful mixture but the amounts are relatively small. Its worked for the last 6 yrs and hopefully many years to come, my emotions are back and I’ve never felt better. I hope you get the right meds, please keep on the forum and let us know how you get on.

Capt Hooke

Capt Hooke

I think I was born with depression. My mother suffered from it and wanted to give me something to remember her by - and I do! In recent times, I've wondered whether she could also have given it to my dad (different mechanisms).

It seems to me that at the moment of conception, you are dealt a hand of cards and no matter how much they might suck, you cannot get an exchange and you just have to play that hand. And then you fall in to the hands of the P-docs :scared:, but if you can see through them quickly enough, who knows?

S

Shay94

Always had social anxiety, felt like an outsider with people even with friends. Depression started 2 years ago after my mum had breast cancer for 2nd time, struggled to keep myself alive (only did as my partner saved me) and havent really been the same since. Got no friends now, going further into depression due to Covid-19 & hardly any work

O

OliviaAustralia

I don't remember ever not being depressed. I remember feeling this way when I was 7 or 8 (I'm 28 now). That's not to say I've never felt happiness, its just always been very shortlived.

I

INFP_DoubleDepression

Like OliviaAustralia, I dont remember this depression ever not being a part of me...my mom says I changed about age 4, and theres a genetic component for sure. The bitch of it is that i was finally happy for a little while, my version of happy anyway, but now its all gone and i have to try to figure out how to rebuild from less than zero at 42.