• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

When you remember something painful...

FragmentsOfPain

FragmentsOfPain

research shows that "mindfulness" is a better alternative to suppression, there's also distracting yourself, but other than that we all gotta deal with painful memories...

oh i forgot: talking about things works if the listener is supportive of you...

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
research shows that "mindfulness" is a better alternative to suppression, there's also distracting yourself, but other than that we all gotta deal with painful memories...

oh i forgot: talking about things works if the listener is supportive of you...
Thank you
I'm sorry you are in hell :( mentally or physically?

What is the difference between mindfulness and suppression? I think mindfulness for me is part of distraction, when i am not feeling as bad.

FragmentsOfPain

FragmentsOfPain

Thank you
I'm sorry you are in hell :( mentally or physically?

What is the difference between mindfulness and suppression? I think mindfulness for me is part of distraction, when i am not feeling as bad.
First of all, i don't need to disclose my location, and it's the feelings of hell that would compel me to use a forum such as this so i'm just going to keep it like that.

Secondly, the whole "mindfulness" thing is about learning to observe whatever is going on with you instead of being driven crazy by it. Meditation techniques are a form of conscious disassociation, i can't really describe it any differently than that. I guess it is a type of distraction.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
First of all, i don't need to disclose my location, and it's the feelings of hell that would compel me to use a forum such as this so i'm just going to keep it like that.

Secondly, the whole "mindfulness" thing is about learning to observe whatever is going on with you instead of being driven crazy by it. Meditation techniques are a form of conscious disassociation, i can't really describe it any differently than that. I guess it is a type of distraction.
First of all
I didn't ask you to disclose your location
I was trying to help

Thank you for the mindfulness info though

jajingna

jajingna

Problem I have is obsessing over memories. Some things happened long ago, months or years have passed, but when they get in my thoughts they can occupy my mind a lot. Got some very old memories that are there daily too.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Problem I have is obsessing over memories. Some things happened long ago, months or years have passed, but when they get in my thoughts they can occupy my mind a lot. Got some very old memories that are there daily too.
I'm sorry you have to deal with that too.

I am finding lately that some are fading quite a lot. It's a light at the end of the tunnel. The memory comes and i think, you know, i don't care anymore. This is my life, i don't care.

I am so focused on me and my happiness, it is good.

Tomorrow i may be less positive :) It has been many years and a long journey of so much pain with these memories.