• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

When you just feel overwhelmed by it all

C

charlieblack5

It’s been getting too much lately. I can’t stop overthinking. My situation (physical) isn’t resolving itself, and it’s just too much, my brain is going 100 miles an hour. How can I take a step back and just calm down? I keep crying. I’m going to phone the GP tomorrow - I need more help. I need medication, but it scares me?

Seb1 (was aboveitall)

Seb1 (was aboveitall)

Taking a break
Mariijuana might help if used medicinally. It can help with the racing thoughts and in some people it helps overthinking. It's not for everyone though.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Medication can help, you shouldn't be afraid of it. There are lots of good SSRI medications available today that can help many kinds of depression. Anxiety is a little more difficult. The only thing that works to reduce my anxiety is Xanax and it's a benzodiazepine medication which is controlled-and for good reasons. It can be habit forming over time and dropping off of it can cause withdrawal issues in some patients. I take only a very light dose at night time just before going to bed, but it really relaxes me.

Be candid with your GP, I'm sure he can square you away. Medication is no panacea, you need all the other things as well to help get over the hump-therapy, rest, good diet, exercise, etc.. But medication can help take the edge off. Let us know what transpires with your discussion with your GP. Take care.

Z

Zuiese

It’s been getting too much lately. I can’t stop overthinking. My situation (physical) isn’t resolving itself, and it’s just too much, my brain is going 100 miles an hour. How can I take a step back and just calm down? I keep crying. I’m going to phone the GP tomorrow - I need more help. I need medication, but it scares me?
Same here, just calm down and take it day by day, as that's all any of us can do anyhow, I don't have X Men like hidden abilities or 20 years worth of SAS tactical training, so I found if you concentrate upon your breathing it can reduce your busy mind from racing or over responding to perp's mind games, as that's what their game is.

C

charlieblack5

Mariijuana might help if used medicinally. It can help with the racing thoughts and in some people it helps overthinking. It's not for everyone though.
Would be ideal, but not sure if prescribed in the UK? I just need something to relax me. I was offered antidepressants but wanted to try talking therapy first, which hasn’t really helped.

C

charlieblack5

Medication can help, you shouldn't be afraid of it. There are lots of good SSRI medications available today that can help many kinds of depression. Anxiety is a little more difficult. The only thing that works to reduce my anxiety is Xanax and it's a benzodiazepine medication which is controlled-and for good reasons. It can be habit forming over time and dropping off of it can cause withdrawal issues in some patients. I take only a very light dose at night time just before going to bed, but it really relaxes me.

Be candid with your GP, I'm sure he can square you away. Medication is no panacea, you need all the other things as well to help get over the hump-therapy, rest, good diet, exercise, etc.. But medication can help take the edge off. Let us know what transpires with your discussion with your GP. Take care.
Thank you, that’s really helpful. I will let you know. I really want to just speak to a GP face to face so they can see how much I’m struggling. I think in person I’d probably break down, which would help my cause! Over the phone I’m much more reserved. Something to take before sleep would be great, but it’s the day to day too I need help with.

C

charlieblack5

Same here, just calm down and take it day by day, as that's all any of us can do anyhow, I don't have X Men like hidden abilities or 20 years worth of SAS tactical training, so I found if you concentrate upon your breathing it can reduce your busy mind from racing or over responding to perp's mind games, as that's what their game is.
Sorry to hear that. Yes very true, taking it day by day really is the only option. I do tend to think too much ahead - what will I be like months from now? I want to be better. Etc. Breathing does help.

Z

Zuiese

Would be ideal, but not sure if prescribed in the UK? I just need something to relax me. I was offered antidepressants but wanted to try talking therapy first, which hasn’t really helped.
Try red seal, not super-strength skunk, as you need to relax and lessen the trauma or PSTD.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Sorry to hear that. Yes very true, taking it day by day really is the only option. I do tend to think too much ahead - what will I be like months from now? I want to be better. Etc. Breathing does help.
All of us folks who suffer from Anxiety/Depression disorders go through similar challenges every day, we're all worrying about how things will be weeks or months ahead. We're all in the same kettle of fish. Trying to keep focused on the NOW and not worrying about the future is good advice-hard to follow, but good advice. I have an extra problem in that my profession requires me to be evaluating potential things that can go wrong and trying to put in 'fixes' ahead of time. So the same skills that make me good at my job work against me with respect to worrying about the future-it's hard to turn it off.

But, we try and take every day as it comes. I sure wish I had more folks in my life I could rely on to help me sometimes, I don't really have that. What family I have are off doing their own thing and reluctant to be there when you need help. That's the biggest frustration. And these are the same folks we were always there for when they needed our help.

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

I think trying therapy first is a good idea. I am scared of medication as well.

C

charlieblack5

I think trying therapy first is a good idea. I am scared of medication as well.
Do you do therapy? I’ve had some sessions with a ‘coach’ but think I do need a therapist, I just don’t know the best way to go about getting on and how long it would take?

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

Do you do therapy? I’ve had some sessions with a ‘coach’ but think I do need a therapist, I just don’t know the best way to go about getting on and how long it would take?
Hi, I have done therapy and meds. I had a bad experience with meds. That was years ago.

Recently I started therapy again and it was helping eventhough I didn't realize how much. I know now because I am on a waiting list due to insurance.

My therapist changed groups so waiting for insurance to approve. I didn't want to start with a new therapist which is why I am waiting.

You can get a referral from your GP. I got my referral from my son's school. It took about 2-3 weeks.

This time, however, because I am waiting for a specific therapist, it's been over a month.

C

charlieblack5

I’ve just been looking at the referrals my GP has pointed me towards. Most of them no longer taking bookings due to demand, and many with a 6 month waiting list ... great.

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

I’ve just been looking at the referrals my GP has pointed me towards. Most of them no longer taking bookings due to demand, and many with a 6 month waiting list ... great.
Are you able to use a different avenue for a referral? The referral from my GP was taking too long. The referral from my son's school went through quickly. Still accepted my insurance.

G

Gotmeagain

Have you tried mindfulness or meditation?? It’s not for everyone but really helped give my brain a rest when I felt the same, even if it’s for ten minutes. Was ready to headbutt the wall! There are lots of videos on YouTube.
Rescue remedy can help, although I do feel as though if things have got too bad, anti depressants are usually the main option.
Homeopathic remedies can also help.