When you feel well again

S

Skips

Don't you just find it so unfair that after abit of an episode (for me caused by insomnia)or people find out you have a mental health illness all of a sudden everything you say gets made out to be bat shit crazy even if what your sayings true and your back to full health and mental clarity.

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

Like gas lighting? I hate that crap. My older sister and mother do that to me all the time. :mad: Sorry you go through that. :hug:

S

Skips

Yeah that's it, I get it alot from the people around me, somtimes good ideas get overlooked and you have the chance to prove myself is made void but if it's true then others take the credit.
cheers nice to know not just me utter rubbish.

Last edited:
SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I hate that anytime I am really pissed off about something the people that know I have PTSD think it's just because of my disorder.I hate having to say "no,even anyone without it would be pissed right now".

I really wish the very few people that know I have it didn't know,I regret telling some of them.Since doing so they only see me through PTSD goggles now.

A

ALifetimeOfRecovery

Yes!

My neighbors found out I have a mental illness and treat me very differently. I was oh wise woman now I am that lady with bipolar. I don't even have bipolar disorder but that is the only mental illness they have heard of I guess! :scratcheshead:

Last edited:
B

Bluebire

Thank you for sharing I think this is my fear about why I don't tell anyone that I am suffering from PTSD

InfiniteRectangles

InfiniteRectangles

I got that a lot from my ex. I told him I wanted to be a therapist one day and he said I was too crazy to be a therapist. And anytime I got mad about something, he would say it was because I am mentally ill. Now I don't tell people that I have PTSD unless they need to know for some reason. I just find it pointless and it's more trouble than it's worth. Only my ex, my parents, and my best friend know about it. Not even my siblings know. I wish I could be more open with people but generally speaking, people just aren't very understanding at all.

B

Bluebire

I got that a lot from my ex. I told him I wanted to be a therapist one day and he said I was too crazy to be a therapist. And anytime I got mad about something, he would say it was because I am mentally ill. Now I don't tell people that I have PTSD unless they need to know for some reason. I just find it pointless and it's more trouble than it's worth. Only my ex, my parents, and my best friend know about it. Not even my siblings know. I wish I could be more open with people but generally speaking, people just aren't very understanding at all.[/QUOTE

Rectangles the shame is that mental health awareness seems to be media buzz word at the moment and everyone wants to be seen to be supportive. However in my experience the reality is that once you mention that you are suffering from any mental illness people treat you so differently and in fact treat you worse than before.

If your dream is to be a therapist then go for it as you have empathy and genuine understanding for an issue that people hide and live in fear of.

I've started seeing a therapist again and I find her to be invaluable however I can't bring myself to tell my wife hence I feel that seeing my therapist is a dirty secret and carry a lot of shame even though I know it's what I need.