• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

When you eventually go back to work, what will you tell your employers?

K

KeepYourChinUp

Those of you that have been out of work for 3+ years, when you're mentally better and start looking for work, what will you say the gap in your work history is about?

I want to be honest and just say that I wasn't in the right mind set for work and I was on employer and support allowance but now I'm better and ready to get back to work but are employers likely to find this a bit worrying? Like you might go "off the rails" again at some point?

How will you word it on your CV or covering letter?

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I have looked this up and one of the ones i found was to say you were "caring for a family member who is now fully recovered", as this is not a lie - you were the family member and no one else could do it but you.

I dunno though.

When I first went back to work after a long period of illness I did just say that I'd worked really hard to get well and was now ready blah blah but I think it depends what sort of job you are going for as well.

Now, because I've had several long gaps instead of just one, it's a bit harder.

You could lie and say you've been abroad or had your own company, or that you worked for a company that is now defunct. But if they found out later you might be up the creek.

V

vimes

It really depends on what kind of work you are applying for and how ill you where, was it some anxiety and stress or perhaps something that would be considered more alarming such as psychosis.

I personally do not reveal past mental health history to employers.

Not everyone is fine with MH there is still considerable stigma. I could tell you stories.....

catkin

catkin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It's hard, but I would be honest. I can't imagine how I could explain such long gaps in my employment history otherwise. I had a 5 year gap once and was honest about why I hadn't worked and my history, it wasn't a problem in that job, i mentioned it on the form and said I could discuss at interview. I lost it due to mh 2 years later, and had reasonable adjustments etc. This time haven't worked for over 6 years, can't imagine coping again. Don't think honesty will get me far but it takes pressure off for me.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i don't think i can explain it at my age with my unemployment history, the only employer who'll choose me over someone else doesn't exist and most jobs theres a someone else

And i'm under high pressure to prove illness at the moment, rather conflicts with fit for work language

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

I'm just about to go for a job interview after 2 years on esa, I was honest on my cv and still got an interview!
Technically they're not allowed to discriminate because mh is classed as a disability but you know it happens.

K

KeepYourChinUp

I'm just about to go for a job interview after 2 years on esa, I was honest on my cv and still got an interview!
Technically they're not allowed to discriminate because mh is classed as a disability but you know it happens.
If you don't mind me asking, can you explain how you worded it on your CV?

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Those of you that have been out of work for 3+ years, when you're mentally better and start looking for work, what will you say the gap in your work history is about?

I want to be honest and just say that I wasn't in the right mind set for work and I was on employer and support allowance but now I'm better and ready to get back to work but are employers likely to find this a bit worrying? Like you might go "off the rails" again at some point?

How will you word it on your CV or covering letter?
Yeah its around 3 years for me now.

If I go back to software - I am just going to be honest. Also I don't want to go back until I feel well.

At the moment I am leaning towards a simple job - for various reasons.

Last edited:
N

Nigel1971

I'm going to be in the same situation as it's 10 years since i worked and don't know how i'll get round it.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
as one psychiatrist put it 15yrs ago perceived wisdom was that schitzoprenics shouldn't work, trust me to look for work around that time, now so worked over by the system

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

Well in the section that said gaps in employment, I put claiming employment and support allowance, volunteering and time spent focusing on a career change. Then within my covering letter, I described in some detail the difficulties I had with work during the last two years, how I have overcome these difficulties and how I have changed now. I talked a lot about my passion for my career, how it never left. I also included details of CPD that I did whilst out of work - college courses, online courses etc....
Hope this helps
P.s- I have applied for jobs in the past six months and not been honest - said I was focusing on my family and not got interviews!

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
employers are nervous about obviously discriminating orgs send out job appplications mentioning disability and monitor the results discrimination shows if people are refused interview

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
employers are nervous about obviously discriminating orgs send out job appplications mentioning disability and monitor the results discrimination shows if people are refused interview
yeah but they are clever, I have had loads of interviews that I think were just disability box ticking exercises. I never get offered the job

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
yeah but they are clever, I have had loads of interviews that I think were just disability box ticking exercises. I never get offered the job
that is basically what i meant, maybe not worded well