• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

When will my food obsession end?

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

Hey!

I've been in FULL recovery from anorexia for around a month (not very long, I know), but since I began my full recovery, I have reclaimed my bodies natural hunger signals (yay), although, I'm learning to understand fullness/ satiety. One thing that I do struggle with though is food obsession. Despite eating to full satiety, I am still unable to switch off my food thoughts, the urge to eat despite my stomach is not asking for food. It's like a magnet pulling me towards photos of food, videos of food, recipes, or just the food itself. I want to eat it, but if I do it often leads to me feeling uncomfortable (and guilty, despite my efforts not to feel this way.) Does anybody have any advice for overcoming this obsession? How should I respond to this feeling? Should I try to ignore it or eat regardless?
Hey there, it may not really be you, but you may be a victim of a psychological/emotional attack from food companies. I'm guessing you live in a big city? You'll notice nearly every adult is suffering from this. It's hard to develop a new habit in an environment that discourages permanent change. I just want you to know that the foods that have this much addictive power are normally mass produced, quick and easy to access and artificially enhanced. We aren't designed to handle this. The pull it has on your brain is incredible. This is why it may feel more physical and beyond your control.

I've said before in an earlier post you may be more successful in permanent change by withdrawing from the city life. It you don't want to do that then come up with a very strong strategy because there are a lot of tools at your service. That would take time though.

I'm not challenging the city anymore. I'm in a slow withdrawal.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

If you wanted to go the strategy path then remember even keeping yourself incredibly busy in healthy acitivities you enjoy is literally an appetite suppressant. Look at a kid lost in play they totally forget their hunger. Distance yourself from these food companies even if it's mentally by keeping your mind occupied. Anything that works.

C

Charl2345

Hey there, it may not really be you, but you may be a victim of a psychological/emotional attack from food companies. I'm guessing you live in a big city? You'll notice nearly every adult is suffering from this. It's hard to develop a new habit in an environment that discourages permanent change. I just want you to know that the foods that have this much addictive power are normally mass produced, quick and easy to access and artificially enhanced. We aren't designed to handle this. The pull it has on your brain is incredible. This is why it may feel more physical and beyond your control.

I've said before in an earlier post you may be more successful in permanent change by withdrawing from the city life. It you don't want to do that then come up with a very strong strategy because there are a lot of tools at your service. That would take time though.

I'm not challenging the city anymore. I'm in a slow withdrawal.
Hi, thanks for this. You could be right in that it's easy to be drawn to these types of foods, but I think my problem really stems from my highly restrictive past. Before my eating disorder I would effortlessly eat these foods in moderation, my diet was healthy and balanced, despite being surrounded by advertisement from food companies. Since this, my location hasn't changed, but my behaviour has massively as a result of the effects of diet culture, low self-esteem, perfectionism, etc. It's not so much the types of food I'm eating, it's more the amount that I crave that scares me, and my current inability to switch off food thoughts, even when not hungry, whether that's immersed in city life or laid in bed at 11:30pm unable to sleep.

Thanks again!