when will i be normal again?

F

flowerpower1

Hi I am new to this forum, but have finally decided to get help.

My eating disorder started last April when I decided I wanted to get in better shape and lose weight. I became obsessed with my weight and would weigh myself everyday. I would count calories and track my food. I eventually had lost all the weight, but could not stop restricting my diet. I had been eating an unhealthy amount up until two days ago. A lot of my friends had said that I was really skinny and that I should eat more. Other people complimented me on how great I looked and asked how I did it. I lost my period immediately as I tried to lose weight. I haven't had my period since April. I am not crazy skinny. I wanted to know how long it took other girls to get their periods back. I also lost so much of my hair. I became a pescatarian (I eat fish and vegetables), but was not getting enough protein. I am taking supplements for my hair and using special shampoo, so I hope it starts growing back thicker soon. I just want to understand recovery better. I am seeing my medical doctor and I also have an appointment to talk to a counselor tomorrow.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

speckles

speckles

The whole losing your period thing may not be about your actually weight but your excessive exercise as periods are lost due to your percentage of fat in your body doing lots of exercise changes you body percentages and thus your period can stop. I lost my period when I was losing weight and exercising a lot but my weight was no really low. As for when they will come back that really depends how quickly you can alter your eating and not do as much exercise. Sometimes they can return very quickly, at other times it takes longer. People are different. It sounds like you are getting to grips with your eating difficulties and recognising it as a problem which means the behaviours will be less ingrained and easier to break and so your chances of a full recovery are much higher. Keep going with dealing with it.

F

flowerpower1

I agree with that and think that it is partly true. My friend is a runner (runs up to 10 miles a day) and she still gets her period. She eats like 4,000 calories per day and she is so skinny still. I think exercising is part of it, but the dsm IV has missing your period more than 3 consecutives times. It has been about 8 or 9 times for me without any spotting. I just hope I am doing everything right to get it back.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Eating Disorders Forum 7
R Eating Disorders Forum 4
S Eating Disorders Forum 1