• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

when to tell someone you are dating you have schizophrenia

M

Maggie21

Any advice on this? Any experiences. Anyone married of with anyone who has this problem and still able to love them and stay with them?

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I have a friend with a boyfriend who has no idea she hears voices, not sure how long they've been together but I assume it's been a few years at the least. At least when she's with him she can pretend the voices don't exist and can have some sort of 'normal' life with him.

She also keeps it a secret from work and I don't blame her, other colleagues who have come forward with issues have been treated badly.

I was trying to meet women not all that long ago, I was upfront about it and found there's still a lot of stigma surrounding people who hear voices, everyone's mind immediately jumps to schizophrenia even though my official diagnosis is psychosis and thanks to the meds I've had no further episodes since 2016 although I still hear this voice in my head and have done consistently for the past 5+ years. So needless to say (but I'll say it any way) I was unsuccessful in dating anyone who had never had any kind of experience with mental health.

I am happy to say I met a woman who is bipolar with a history of psychosis who I've now been in a relationship with since the 4th of August and she has no problem with the fact I hear a voice that isn't my own, she has several friends who also hear voices or have been diagnosed with schizophrenia so she isn't phased by it, she's commented how 'normal' I am when we're together, mostly because I can happily ignore my voice and I'm otherwise quite stable on my meds.

I started a similar thread a while ago When to tell a potential love interest you hear voices? and got mixed answers.

Wishbone

Wishbone

It's amazing to think that anyone can hide it for so long, you'd think a partner would pick up on things like seeming momentarily distracted or what have you. Maybe it pays to be with someone that doesn't pay you much attention! 😁
In fact, that could be an initial dating move, just find out if they notice new hair or clothing etc, if they don't, you're Gold!

D

dancingwarrior

I don’t hear voices i get false memories
Ok, I think that may be what I'm dealing with too. I'm new to this. They originally thought I was bipolar but now we are worried my "traumas" may be false memories. I haven't told any of this to my romantic interest/friend yet

R

Rispderalruinedme

I've told multiple woman that i was sexually and romantically interested
but I'm so high level they aren't afraid of me or even think I'm sick.
I just tell I'm take medicine and I got this disease and let them research on their own.
Some women have called me crazy but I've never been the type to wanna hurt others. so they feel pretty safe with me and feel actually better then they would say a normal guy. Thats what I've been told for years. anyways. so yeah.

H

haystack

I was always right up front about my schizophrenia...found the right one and now we are getting married...she's normal...

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Should I tell them I have mental illness/depression or schizophrenia? Schizophrenia Forum 15
THE MANDALORIAN Every One Wants To Tell Their Story. Schizophrenia Forum 4
THE MANDALORIAN Money or death? Death or pride? You tell me. Schizophrenia Forum 3
P Should I tell my psychiatrist? If so, how? Schizophrenia Forum 11
Hello513 Do not let society tell you what you can and cannot do Schizophrenia Forum 1
soulsearcher How can you tell if you suffer from schizophrenia? Schizophrenia Forum 10
Q Depot has left a lump. Should i call and tell my nurse. Schizophrenia Forum 8
B Can't tell who's talking Schizophrenia Forum 2
B How to tell friends/family? Schizophrenia Forum 10
O Could you tell me a treatment mindmap, please, for this type of schizophernic psychosis? Schizophrenia Forum 7
S Is there anyway I can get my brother to tell me what he really feels? Schizophrenia Forum 3
P When you are there you can't even tell. Schizophrenia Forum 30
F Genetic research into ‘schizophrenia’ – how much can it actually tell us? Schizophrenia Forum 1
K I think I have a speech disorder. Hard to tell. Schizophrenia Forum 10
R Tell me what you guys think. Schizophrenia Forum 3
G Should I tell my doctor Schizophrenia Forum 13
F What Can Hearing Loss Tell Us About Social Defeat, Dopamine Sensitization, and Schizophrenia? Schizophrenia Forum 5
BillFish Going to tell him I'm a schizophrenic :) Schizophrenia Forum 1
M Do I tell my son he has schizophrenia? Please help. Schizophrenia Forum 36
F What it’s really like to tell people you have schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 7
R scared to tell pdoc about all my voices Schizophrenia Forum 3
O Schizophrenia or Someone from Above Schizophrenia Forum 1
O Is it Schizophrenia or is it Someone From Above? Schizophrenia Forum 9
M Can someone explain what does flat emotion feel like. Schizophrenia Forum 12
lifecangetbetter suggestions for a job with someone with schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 2
R Have you ever met someone that was totally negative to you? Schizophrenia Forum 2
B Dating someone with Schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 2
BEASTMODEWARRIOR Can you get in trouble for calling someone a [email protected]? Schizophrenia Forum 9
T How was someone able to inject a camera underneath my skin? Schizophrenia Forum 30
T Can someone help me right this delusion? Schizophrenia Forum 30
P Using someone's past against them Schizophrenia Forum 7
lifecangetbetter lonely. need someone to talk to who is going through what I am Schizophrenia Forum 11
T How likely is it that the TV will talk about someone's life? Schizophrenia Forum 42
D Bad Memory or Someone Playing Tricks On Me Schizophrenia Forum 10
T Can someone talk me out of this delusion? Schizophrenia Forum 39
T Help me someone. Schizophrenia Forum 27
T Can someone help me find this hidden camera? Schizophrenia Forum 36
THE MANDALORIAN What can you do, when someone you love hurts you? Schizophrenia Forum 1
T How can there be a camera so small implanted in someone? Schizophrenia Forum 64
Mr.NiceGuy Putting your thoughts into someone else's head Schizophrenia Forum 6
B Sometimes I feel that someone is inside my body because my features change and my face becomes tight and ugly. And I can talk to him when the conversa Schizophrenia Forum 4
D No control..i haven't slept in 2 days....wtf I need to talk to someone who experience is similar to mine Schizophrenia Forum 20
Confusedandanxious Does distraction work to calm someone? Schizophrenia Forum 18
S maybe this will "enlighten" someone what people behind voices are trying to do.. Schizophrenia Forum 4
S would anyone like someone to talk to today? Schizophrenia Forum 3
P Would you date someone who has schizophrenia too? Schizophrenia Forum 13
S Finding forgiveness for someone with schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 3
O Has anyone here ever known someone to be schizophrenic or borderline and overcome it? Schizophrenia Forum 29
A Just tired of being alone in this, does someone understand? Schizophrenia Forum 7
A My girlfriend has schizophrenia...Someone Please Help Me???? Schizophrenia Forum 20