• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

When therapy goes wrong

• Thread starter Whentherapygoeswrong
  • Start date
W

Whentherapygoeswrong

Hi guys, I have been with my current therapist for just over a year now and things are going well. Prior to this I was seeing a well known (self marketed 'celebrity therapist) which resulted in sexual harassment and Ptsd.
Now I know this is not a typical experience and I certainly don't expect to find it again, now that I know what I am looking for in terms of qualifications and experience.
But I was wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar?
Because therapy in the UK is unregulated and titles like therapist and counselor are not protected terms it seems as though the Industry is ripe for abusers to isolate and further damage those who are most vulnerable.
I would love to be able to talk about this experience more and hear others if they are out there.

Faith198

Faith198

I haven’t had a really bad experience like this but I did get vibes off one person I saw that handled my medication that he was attracted to me..He never took it any further (he could have just been being nice too) but I felt in my gut that something was up. He never took advantage of me & my situation like that though. I guess my experience isn’t really one to talk about because he didn’t act on it, but I did feel a little uneasy.

I’m really sorry that happened to you. That would make me so fearful to trust someone again. I can’t imagine it. I hope this person you’re seeing right now treats you well and with respect (like anyone should tbh)

W

Whentherapygoeswrong

Thank you for responding.
I know what you mean though, gut feelings can tell us a lot!
Yes I am in a much better therapeutic relationship now thanks, but it took some time. A lot of time actually!
Like I say I'm really glad my experience isn't the norm, but İ fear it's still a significant problem.

Faith198

Faith198

Thank you for responding.
I know what you mean though, gut feelings can tell us a lot!
Yes I am in a much better therapeutic relationship now thanks, but it took some time. A lot of time actually!
Like I say I'm really glad my experience isn't the norm, but İ fear it's still a significant problem.
it is and I hope no one else has to run into it. I remember watching a video on a girl and her family had her go into a mental health unit. The man there took advantage of her and sexually abused her. She is scared to go back in now because she’s traumatized by it. It really broke my heart. I don’t want to scare anyone but it is something we all have to be aware of.