• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

When people don't respond to emails

• Thread starter PerpetuallyStuck
  • Start date
P

PerpetuallyStuck

This can be for any form of social media too. Why is it, that even with close friends/family, people can ignore and not respond to a message, even if it is important and needs a quick response?

It is so rude, it infuriates me. Does anyone else experience that? I wish it could be eradicated from society. People should pay more attention and have common courtesy. Ghosting people is obnoxious. It's not as if I'm pestering people or asking them to go out of their way or anything, it's just unbelievable people can't be bothered to respond.

Z

Zoe1

totally disagree with that PS

in my circles you can wait days for a response even weeks
some people are not on the internet that much

if you need to speak to them urgently
I would phone

or send a snail mail

if I want to make a special fuss
I would send a snail mail on special paper

:grouphug:🎼🐢🕯🍒

toutatis

toutatis

No, I don't like it when people don't reply as well, especially if I know they're online daily. It's almost like if you had something important to say or were reaching out to someone you know right in front of you and they just stare at you blankly, not say a word, then turn around and walk off never to be seen for days. Not good.

EverybodyHurts

EverybodyHurts

No, I don't like it either. It can be a bad trigger for me if I feel like I'm being ignored. Do you have settings that let you see when people have read/seen the message? I find it helps to have those turned off - if I can't see that they have read the message, then it's easy to assume that they are just busy and haven't had a chance to look at their messages yet, rather than feeling that they are not considering my message important enough to respond to quickly!

D

Deleted member 91261

Well I don't use social media any more for this purpose it really puts me off of people in general so completely understand where your coming from x

EverybodyHurts

EverybodyHurts

Well I don't use social media any more for this purpose it really puts me off of people in general so completely understand where your coming from x
Same here!

E

Elisante

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Why don't you call them if it's urgent?

P

PerpetuallyStuck

No, I don't like it when people don't reply as well, especially if I know they're online daily. It's almost like if you had something important to say or were reaching out to someone you know right in front of you and they just stare at you blankly, not say a word, then turn around and walk off never to be seen for days. Not good.
This is exactly the point. People tend to act differently online than they do offline. I know for a fact that some people I have sent emails to, have instant mobile phone alerts, so they know about them. They just choose if and when to reply. It is a bit ridiculous if I ask someone how they are doing during the lockdown, and they don't respond, despite being someone I've known for a long time, but for some reason they can't be bothered to reply. What is that all about?

E

Elisante

ACCOUNT CLOSED
What makes you think they'd answer a phone if they don't answer an email?
I don't think they will ignore it. It's easier to ignore an email especially if you're doing something more enjoyable online. A ringing phone makes you think it's more urgent. But I get you. I really hate people ignoring my texts after they've read them.

Faith198

Faith198

I understand where you’re coming from but they’re not obligated to. I’m one of those people that will say “talk later” or something if I plan to stop talking.. (usually). I use to take offense to it but it’s really nothing. There can be so many reasons they don’t respond: they get busy, they don’t want to talk anymore for the day and maybe are afraid you will take offense to them wanting some space, social anxiety, working, etc. don’t let it get you down too much.

C

Coolname

Emails are an odd one these days. People I know tend to be less inclined to read them than a text or message. I used to get worked up if I didn't get a response, but now I believe that it is their choice and it doesn't mean anything in particular if a reply takes a while. It is different if I am asking for a friendly ear. It did annoy me recently when a friend didn't get back to me for days, but I know she is hopeless at replying to people in general. Didn't stop me from pointing out the delay though :cool:

Besides, you don't know what is going on for the other person. I can take ages to reply to someone if I am busy, stressed, or simply at a loss for something to say.

N

Nukelavee

It is a bit ridiculous if I ask someone how they are doing during the lockdown, and they don't respond, despite being someone I've known for a long time, but for some reason they can't be bothered to reply. What is that all about?
Simple - the message isn't important to them. Or they are busy. Or there doesn't seem to be a reason to reply. Or they aren't in the mood to answer a question. Or, they don't want to get engaged and caught up in a conversation.

Take me for example. I may or may not reply promptly, for all of the above reasons. I don't even always bother to answer my phone, heck, I don't even bother to get up and see who is calling half the time.

the main reason I don't have a mobile is I loath the idea of being bothered by calls and texts at all hours. PArt of that is, because when people have a mobile, they feel like they should be on it whenever they are bored or waiting. I don't care that you are waiting in line, driving, waiting for the bus, etc, and are bored - I'm not here to distract you whenever you get bored.

I'm not interested in dank memes, cat pictures, videos or what your meal looks like. I don't want to be stuck pming people or trapped on the phone.

Other people aren't at your beck and call.

P

PerpetuallyStuck

Other people aren't at your beck and call.
I think people misunderstand what I'm trying to say, and are trying to turn it against me and are adamantly saying they disagree.

What I am talking about is A CLOSE FRIEND OR FRIEND OR FAMILY MEMBER who decide NOT TO ANSWER AT ALL, FOR NO REASON...... Why do people do this to me? Always dismissing a fact. If you guys posted on the forum and everyone ignored you and didn't answer you, you'd be annoyed. I have seen people complaining about not getting email notifications from this forum for instance.

Perhaps we should all quit the forum and not bother saying anything to anyone. It's not about having to have people respond all the time, it's about people in our lives that matter. It's common courtesy and basic manners to acknowledge people. Ok, on the forum you aren't obliged to, but a close personal contact that you meet in real life is. That was what my point is about, but clearly people just want to get petulant and dismiss what my point is about.

toutatis

toutatis

...What is that all about?
Yeah, I guess different people have different reasons for it. But for me, it ends up pushing me away, sending me the wrong signals time and time again. I think it's disrespectful. That's it.