• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

When medication stops working

B

Budd222

Hi,
Like a normal bloke I never thought anything serious was wrong with me....typical stereo type of depression is just someone not getting on with life etc....then things for me became worse over time until I had a complete breakdown over 3 years ago my GP was brilliant, he listened and asked questions and explained to me I had a chemical imbalance in my brain which was affecting my thoughts and put me on mirtazapine, the first dose was not enough to help and I was eventually but on the highest dosage 45mg...and for 2 years things were back to a somewhat normal, I was enjoying life and looking forward to things again,then a year ago I started to get the bad thoughts and feeling low,this has continued to spiral downhill to a point now where I feel lost again,my wife has tried to help but its not something that has been triggered by something happening and nothing to do with worrying about jobs or bills,I wish it was as then at least there's light somewhere to aim for,no this isn't voices in my head telling me why go on,its me in the back of my head saying life is not for me anymore I'm blessed to have 3 great kids which have in the past stopped me from harming myself knowing it would hurt them so much but at the moment things are not getting better,my medication isn't working and there seems no way out of my blackness...I'm hoping to find someone who has this feeling and can relate and help.

Bod

Bod

Hi Budd222, welcome to the forum I hope you will settle here as everyone is helpful and very caring to each other. I can not actually relate to you but I do hope some of the members here will and maybe offer more advice and help.

SoftRain

SoftRain

Sometimes they need adjusted or a new med started I definitely would talk to your doctor he sounds like a brilliant one.
I am going through the same thing. I have bi polar though. My meds arent working as well and I can tell. I am having more bad days then good. Its happened before and they increased my dose or started something new. I have no idea why are body gets so used to the meds and stops working but their are many on here who have complained about,
Hang in there, and see your doctor! wishing you the best of luck. hugs

B

Budd222

Hi Budd222, welcome to the forum I hope you will settle here as everyone is helpful and very caring to each other. I can not actually relate to you but I do hope some of the members here will and maybe offer more advice and help.
Thanks Bod,that is what I'm hoping, someone who can relate and help,this will give me hope.

B

Budd222

Sometimes they need adjusted or a new med started I definitely would talk to your doctor he sounds like a brilliant one.
I am going through the same thing. I have bi polar though. My meds arent working as well and I can tell. I am having more bad days then good. Its happened before and they increased my dose or started something new. I have no idea why are body gets so used to the meds and stops working but their are many on here who have complained about,
Hang in there, and see your doctor! wishing you the best of luck. hugs
Thank you, yes I will go,my wife suggested it but I thought there's no point as he's prescribed me the highest dose,but as you mention there's other medication I could try,have to hold on and hopefully find something that helps.

D

Daringdan

Hey Budd222,
I can relate to the downward spiral and darkness. I struggle to actually do all these things I'm about to mention. A multi-pronged approach: one is to further work on the chemicals in your body with an exercise regimen that fits you. I've read that the effects of exercise can last about a day so you can keep it rolling. Two is to increase emotional support, could be a new therapist, could be a new friend or opening up more to those already in your life. Three is to work on all the small things during your day which really begin to add up, a cup of tea, a bath, an act of affection toward your family. There is this idea that if you get 1% better everyday, over the course of a year that's a lot. Forth is to have a robust spiritual life that supports you. I have some go to spiritual music that can change my mood and mind.
Even when I try to apply all these remedies I still have struggles and bleed through symptoms. Its nice to think that something new could come along to try so there is always hope of something like some new science or technique. Each one of our cases is an experiment to see what works. Well wishes, and I'm hoping for you.

B

Budd222

Hey Budd222,
I can relate to the downward spiral and darkness. I struggle to actually do all these things I'm about to mention. A multi-pronged approach: one is to further work on the chemicals in your body with an exercise regimen that fits you. I've read that the effects of exercise can last about a day so you can keep it rolling. Two is to increase emotional support, could be a new therapist, could be a new friend or opening up more to those already in your life. Three is to work on all the small things during your day which really begin to add up, a cup of tea, a bath, an act of affection toward your family. There is this idea that if you get 1% better everyday, over the course of a year that's a lot. Forth is to have a robust spiritual life that supports you. I have some go to spiritual music that can change my mood and mind.
Even when I try to apply all these remedies I still have struggles and bleed through symptoms. Its nice to think that something new could come along to try so there is always hope of something like some new science or technique. Each one of our cases is an experiment to see what works. Well wishes, and I'm hoping for you.
Yes I do exercise regularly which helps short term,but will look into the spiritual music,that is something I've never tried,thats a good way of looking at it 1% a day,its always seems im getting nowhere but will look at each day that goes and I've survived thats got to be improvement even if only slight.
Thank you for your time and advice, much appreciated and it helps knowing I'm not alone in the struggle.

M

Mrs Scamp

Definitely see your gp about trying a new medicine. Most of them stop working after a couple of years. You could try Citalopram or Prozac as both are very good. I take Mirtazapine but struggle with the tiredness although they do suit me. I’m thinking of going back on to Prozac as I wasn’t tired with these. Good luck and don’t despair as all you need is a different med to help you get back on track.

R

Robyn17

Hi,
Like a normal bloke I never thought anything serious was wrong with me....typical stereo type of depression is just someone not getting on with life etc....then things for me became worse over time until I had a complete breakdown over 3 years ago my GP was brilliant, he listened and asked questions and explained to me I had a chemical imbalance in my brain which was affecting my thoughts and put me on mirtazapine, the first dose was not enough to help and I was eventually but on the highest dosage 45mg...and for 2 years things were back to a somewhat normal, I was enjoying life and looking forward to things again,then a year ago I started to get the bad thoughts and feeling low,this has continued to spiral downhill to a point now where I feel lost again,my wife has tried to help but its not something that has been triggered by something happening and nothing to do with worrying about jobs or bills,I wish it was as then at least there's light somewhere to aim for,no this isn't voices in my head telling me why go on,its me in the back of my head saying life is not for me anymore I'm blessed to have 3 great kids which have in the past stopped me from harming myself knowing it would hurt them so much but at the moment things are not getting better,my medication isn't working and there seems no way out of my blackness...I'm hoping to find someone who has this feeling and can relate and help.
Hello Bud222, I am really sorry about what you are feeling. I experience similar ‘episodes’ (it’s what I call them for myself). I have days were I look forward to things in life and days where I don’t want to get out of bed and want to just disappear. I’m on medication which helps but there was a time my medication stopped working and it got worse, so I spoke to my doctor again and he changed my pills to a different brand with the same effect. I would suggest speaking to your doctor again and he will guide you and possibly change your medication.

B

Budd222

Hello Bud222, I am really sorry about what you are feeling. I experience similar ‘episodes’ (it’s what I call them for myself). I have days were I look forward to things in life and days where I don’t want to get out of bed and want to just disappear. I’m on medication which helps but there was a time my medication stopped working and it got worse, so I spoke to my doctor again and he changed my pills to a different brand with the same effect. I would suggest speaking to your doctor again and he will guide you and possibly change your medication.
Yes that seems the best way forward, thank you for your help

B

Budd222

Definitely see your gp about trying a new medicine. Most of them stop working after a couple of years. You could try Citalopram or Prozac as both are very good. I take Mirtazapine but struggle with the tiredness although they do suit me. I’m thinking of going back on to Prozac as I wasn’t tired with these. Good luck and don’t despair as all you need is a different med to help you get back on track.
Thank you for this advice,im going to get an appointment and hopefully will get something to help.