• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

When I was last sectioned

Funnyday

Funnyday

The last time that I was in Hospital under section. They informed my ex-wife information about my condition. I couldn't believe that they had done this as we are er divorced! The doctor was grinning like an idiot when she told me too. I'm sure that this was done to provoke a reaction from me. Which they never got.

I didn't bother complaining at the time as I was more concerned with getting out asap. I'm contemplating putting in a complaint now that I'm safely out. However the last time that I complained about £1,600 of my money being stolen while in Hospital. The local CMHT launched an investigataion. Which ruffled some feathers as they then started to cold call me at my home a few weeks later with a view to sectioning me again. Which they did.

The hospital itself is the scene of many crimes. With the belongings of patients routinely being stolen after being placed into the locked belongings cupbaord which only staff have access to. When I was in last time someones ipad was stolen, which resulted in all the patients rooms being searched. With no staff subjected to a search, even though they are the ones who had acces to the locked cupboard!

Anyone else have similer experiences with light fingered staff or with the doctors just giving out information about you to anyone that phones them?

N

nightmare57

The first time I was under a section 2 I had somebody come into my unlocked room while I was sedated and stole a mug with my sisters name written on it which I made in the arts and crafts session on the ward (that's all I had available to nick) which I thought was a pretty shit thing to do because it meant nothing to anybody else apart from me. They will nick sugar from your tea!

The Guvnah

The Guvnah

Yup, when my Wife was sectioned I sent a few belongings up to the hospital c/o the assigned soc w****r. They either never arrived or were 'misappropriated' on the ward. When I called her to see if she'd got them she said "No and I'm going to call the police because you've obviously sold them!"

What the.... why on Earth would I do that for god's sake? But of course psychosis doesn't need motive, or reason, or fact.

So I get straight on the case trying to raise this 'stand in' social worker and the ward and got completely stonewalled because they said that my Wife (at the height of her mania remember) had refused to give any information to me (I was the focus of her psychosis)? But this is about her belongings being stolen! nothing to do with her medical care you obstructive fucking nugget! Look I either get the police involved or you get your ward manager on the phone at his soonest opportunity please!" Nothing progressed as they hid behind their veil of 'patient confidentiality' and in fact the only thing it did was to deepen and further embed my Wife's psychotic delusions about me. Jeez you couldn't make it up!:curseyou:

A few days after her admission she had warned me not to send her anything valuable because of theft being a problem, "...anything laying around gets nicked...". I thought; nah surely not, this is a closely monitored intensive acute psychiatric ward how is anyone going to nick a bright blue coat (a Birthday present to her)? This must be a developing part of her delusional ideation or something. And then I downloaded and read through the past CQC Reports on the psych and MH provision and the day to day conditions on the ward plus all the others on the unit and lo and behold I read...

...theft is a recurrent problem on all the wards of the ****** Centre psychiatric unit.
See if you can download the latest CQC report for the ward in question and the one before it and see if the issue of theft is repeated at your facility. It goes without saying that staff have a captive ever changing conveyor belt of new patients to rinse and their credibility as witnesses is severely compromised from the outset by their status on the ward in the first place. Basically in a 'my word against their word' stand off there's only going to be one party that will be believed. Is this reproduced across the nation by dint of the fact that MH in-patients present an easily deniable target? Let's just see how common this phenomenon actually is in MH units? Let's have a good look-see inside those property cupboards shall we?

Surely a patient's property is itemised and signed for on admission, any cash summed, bagged and tagged? Mind you that'd be no guarantee of anything if the patient presents in a condition too severe to be dealing with bloody admin paperwork.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Admin
Hi,
I had a few items stolen, mainly clothing. I was and still am very upset by it. I had food stolen as well from my room.
Our property should be safe, theft rarely occurs on the other wards so why on the mental health side.
They didn't give info out about me however.

The Guvnah

The Guvnah

Hi,
I had a few items stolen, mainly clothing. I was and still am very upset by it. I had food stolen as well from my room.
Our property should be safe, theft rarely occurs on the other wards so why on the mental health side.
They didn't give info out about me however.
Well if they'd had the wisdom to actually keep me informed I would have been all over that theft like a terrier on a rat! By then they were well aware of the degree of my sheer persistance and so that was the very last thing they wanted. Hence another reason to keep me locked out.

Like I said mentally ill patients can so easily be dismissed, simple as that. I only found that CQC Report months after the event and by that time I'd kicked up such a stink about so many other aspects of her and our treatment that it got left behind in the wake of events. I just thought to my eternal regret that it was just another paranoid delusion, there isn't much I regret in life but not believing that one was one I'll never forgive myself for.

Nikita

Nikita

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I gifted a briefcase to one patient that I befriended while an inpatient,she was going to start a university course.She went home for the weekend and left it in her locked room when she came back it had been stolen.Only people with a key to her room were staff!

Our money we could lodge in the safe and the office secretary would log it in a book and every time we wanted to withdraw any amount of it we had to sign and the new balance was recorded with our signature confirming it.So our money at least couldn't go missing without serious consequences for those supposed to be caretaking it.But things ,possessions not under lock and key went missing all the time,especially food in the kitchen fridge and coffee and coffeemate....it all got knicked and mugs if it wasn't glued down it walked!