• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

When feeling far removed from a conversation

M

MouthyOne

I have had these experiences for as long as I can remember.

It's when someone is talking to me about something and I cannot focus or enjoy the conversation. Used to describe it as feeling that I am in a bubble and cannot communicate with anyone. Cut off and removed from any conversation as I am so stuck on ruminating about past/recent events were I have lost my temper and overreacted in situations during Covid time. Feel that I have no control over them and it's keeping me in a stuck depressed mindset.

Tonight's example my son was talking about a game we both play. He is talking and asking questions about it however I have nothing to add and can barely fake interest, felt another bout of depression hitting at the start of September. Find this quite heart-breaking as he is such a happy boy and I don't wish to dent his confidence or be a non-interested parent.

Hate that I am not the one to help progress him. In a mental slump which tends to happen about this time of year as well.

When feeling like you are removed from a conversation how do you break the cycle of rumination and enjoy conversations again? Getting quite desperate as it's having a big impact on my life. :(

bpd2020

bpd2020

I am so sorry to hear this is happening. I really struggle with poor attention and if a conversation does not grab me I tend to glaze over. Is it possible you are dissociating?

M

MouthyOne

Did think of DID as I go into modes where I don't recognise myself. Used to think it was repressed rage due to depression.

For example I was in a group meeting about 4 months ago and someone asked me "how I was" and I went into a 10 minute rant which I can't remember. Did comment at the time that as disassociation. It's like having no control on what comes out your mouth.

M

MouthyOne

Looking at mindfulness techniques and trying to stay in the moment while being interested during conversation. Asking questions and the like.

bpd2020

bpd2020

It sounds like you have thought of some good techniques. I really hope they help.

M

MouthyOne

Read it's good for rumination and staying in the moment. One go to is distracting the process by doing housework. Does help, practising it.

skylynx

skylynx

I believe you need someone, or a therapist to talk to that will let you say all you need to for your own needs. Than when you have what you need you can give some to someone else like your son. It's a bad feeling to be dismissed by others who just can't understand you and don't even try.