• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

When do you take your antidepressant?

M

mrsmiles

I'm taking Fluoxetine (prozac) at 40mg a day. I may move up to a higher dosage in a few months.

I've been trying to work out when the best time is to take it. At first it made me feel sick if I hadn't eaten and would keep me awake at night, but those aren't problems anymore.

I'm wondering if I should take both 20mg caps in the morning or recently I've tried spreading them out. I take one immediately when I wake up, then the second six to nine hours later.

My thinking is that spreading the dosage out might help avoid highs and lows if it's metabolised by my body.

Has anyone else experimented with the timing and found anything out? Spreading it out seems to make sense to me. Since I'm awake about eighteen hours a day at the moment, nine hours would seem to be a good split.

But I don't think prozac is designed to work in the 'make you feel good immediately sense', it has to accumulate. Perhaps every twelve hours would produce a more continuous effect?

It felt amazing at first, it was one of the most incredible feelings I'd felt in over a decade - it reminded me of being a child and how I could be happy with more simple things. But I'd also had some strange events happen around the time I started taking it which may have helped boost it's effect from a psychological point. It doesn't seem quite so incredible now, despite the dose being higher. I also find that, while it helps, I still feel very anxious.

Last edited:
A

anastasia

i've tried everything

when i took both mine together (like you 40mg fluoxetine) i found by 2 - 3 pm i felt like absolute crap despite having a good morning.

now i take one at 5am (before work) and with food or i can't stomach it. the other i take around 2pm (when i finish work / have lunch). it works better. i feel about the same throughout the day.

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
I take 50mg Citalopram and need to take mine at night or I am one sleepy unfunctioning gal

G

grace68

hi, i'm also been wondering when best to take my prozac.
i'm on 20mg, and i was taking it at about 8pm with my lithium,
but when my husband picked up my last prescription, the pharmacist asked him if i was taking in the morning- and he said that i really should be taking it in the morning.
and i have been feeling absolutely dreadful in the mornings, i don't think prozac is good for sleep. (although you don't struggle with that anymore)?

so i 'googled' it, and found that there is no hard and fast rule- some people prefer it in the morning, and some at night.
but probably more people seem to prefer a morning dose, and it does make more sense to me.
so, yesterday, i took it at lunchtime, and i have now remembered to go take it now, for today! then, i'll have to try get in the habit of prozac for breakfast, and see how it goes.

when i 'googled' it- i did also find some talk of splitting the dose- and the suggestion was breakfast, and lunch-time. it seems it should always be with food, as it can cause nausea. (but you don't have that problem anymore)

by the way, i just searched for 'prozac, morning or evening?' on google, and i got quite a lot of interesting results.

i think anxiety is not very much helped by prozac, as it seems to elevate your mood, and give energy, but that energy can be negative, if it becomes 'anxious energy'. it is so hard to get the balance, it's just awful being so very depressed- then it's good to get your mood elevated- but then there can be other problems too. :unsure:

A

anastasia

the reason they dont recommend it at night is that prozac does tend to cause sleeplessness / restlessness. so if you already have issues with sleeping it's only going to make them worse.

M

mrsmiles

Interesting replies. Having taken ampethamine based drugs, I can tell you the sleeplessness is very similar, but it's easy to get used to with prozac by comparison; ampethamines will make it literally impossible to fall asleep, your brain chemically refuses to go into a sleep state. At the moment, I'm only sleeping about six hours and consciously wake up a few times each night. I still feel fine during the day and stay up to around 11 or 12pm. I've also started remembering more of my dreams and they're very complex. I think the prozac might actually be helping me fall deeper into REM sleep once I actually get to sleep. I'd always wake up before feeling like I hadn't even been to sleep, even if I had been for 12h.

It's interesting you say it's a mood enhancer. When I started taking it, I wondered if it's be a universal veil of happiness, but it's not. Along with the positive moods, it also made it much easier to let anger show through - it's kind of like a honesty drug. Things like MDMA produce the same effect in a similar way, but produce a huge rush that then disappears instead of staying gentle and constant. I'm much more blunt with people (in a productive, good way), but no where near as much as I'd like to be.

I can deal with the sick feelings fine. It's also virtually wiped out my apetite. I was always pretty lightweight. Went running every night and to the gym - since those are both supposed to help with depression, they didn't really, just stress. I ran so hard I ended up damaging the tendons in my legs. I'm about 5'8" and a young guy. I was about 9 1/2 stone before and never went below that. I was shocked when I got the scales after a few months on prozac and I was getting close to 8 1/2, which I know is too low. That's another trait of ampethamine like drugs, hunger seems to disappear.

If I wake up at 6 or 7am, I'll take it then and go back to bed for an hour or two. Hoping it'll be working by the time I wake up.

Like one poster said, I've tried taking a lot of it in the mornings, but then felt really nasty and down by the afternoon to evening. That's a trait of ampethamine type rushes. And I think it's exactly what you do not want happening with antidepressants, since it encourages the up and down waves, making you feel bipolar and lost. I guess I'll stick with 9 hours after the first. And split it up further if I end up on 60 or 80mg.

I really wouldn't suggestion taking it just at night. That's quite likely to mess with your sleep and your body will have metabolised some of it by the morning.

I've considered snorting it at times when I've been feeling really terrible. Yep... naughty. But I realise that's only going to detract from it.

And no, drugs didn't make me depressed. Having a parent die aged 10 and another take up drinking as her hobby was the cause.

I have to say, living with the family that helped cause it in the first place, it's a real struggle even with the 40mg to stay positive against their own attitudes, which were similar to mine before I started on it. I now see those attitude for just how negative they are and have even suggested my mother gets some herself, which she really needs not only for herself but so that every word out of her mouth isn't negative or derogratory in some manner.

Last edited:
R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Reminded me to take my morning meds, did once ask a gp for prozac he said it could release inhibitions

Eleison

Eleison

I take my mirtazapine at night. Kind of necessary with a sedating med like that! Snag is the best of the relief wears off by the morning...

O

olan

i'm not taking my antidepressant. i don't even have one. my anti depressant is my friends! they can really help me a lot. thanks for them. they can make me forget the problems.

Colin76

Colin76

Founding Member
Thanks guys you have just reminded me to order more meds :)

I'm on 40mg of citalopram and take both tablets in the morning when i wake up but have recently started to notice that when combined with my other meds i start to feel drowsy quickly. What i may do is take 20mg in the morning and then the other 20mg at night and see what the outcome is.

messymoo

messymoo

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I take my anti depressant in the mornings I am on 20mg of escitalopram I am not sure whether that is the best time to take it or not as I am on quite a few medications it is difficult for me to work out what is causing what.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I take my mirtazapine at night. Kind of necessary with a sedating med like that! Snag is the best of the relief wears off by the morning...
I'm on 45mg mirtazapine.I take 15mg in the morning and 30mg at night.I wish I could take more in the morning.I didn't really notice anything when I used to be on 15mg,but now on the higher dose I notice how much calmer and positive I feel.

S

sarahemily

i have to take mine at night or else they knock me out during the day

Jo1760

Jo1760

I am on a 225 dose of venlafexine. I take 150 in the morning and have to take it with food, as even now after 2.5 months it sometimes makes me feel very nauseous, certian things make it worse also i.e. taking it with coffee. Then the last 75 i take at about 8 ish after dinner.

N

Nutter_09

Hi all,
I too take venlafexine and have experimented. My Mum told me to take it at night as I was not sleeping, bit when I told my GP he ws annoyed and said it has to be first thing in the morning! My Mum didn't like this!
I dunno if it is just me but I don't feel any different if taking it earlier or later only if I miss a day (Very bad bad withdrawals which scared the hell out of me and I now make sure I order more in time!!)
My Counsellor said they take about 2 hours to kick in, but I never get any "Happier" 2 hours after.