• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

when do things eg optimism become delusional?

M

mickeymoo

What makes something actually delusional over just normal feelings. Foe eg it would be optomistic if you expected an ex partner to return a couple of months after the a split but delusional if believing they will return after a couple years?

Sorry, it doesn;t make much sense. I'm just wondering when something would actually be counted as delusional as opposed to just normal reactions/expectations.

S

skyblue

Well, this was my experience of delusions when I was first hospitalised, I was also going through a huge breakdown. I've copied my reply from another thread; Cyclothymic and Bi-Polar, whats the difference.

Not sure whether or not this could help you understand alittle more.

Delusions are extreme false beliefs or ideas.

e.g believing you are somebody that you are not, like The Messiah, Cleopatra or the President.

Delusions can be very disturbing, without going into too much detail I suffered from delusions and hallunications about 4yrs ago when I was first hospitalised. It was the scariest thing that's ever happened to me.

I don't know whether or not you remember an American girl called Billie Joe who was kidnapped and murdered sometime ago ? Well,.. I thought I was her and I believed I was kidnapped by gangs who dressed up, but were actually the hospital staff. I believed I was 16yrs old, infact I was 30yrs old at the time and the gangs had kept me in hiding since I was 6yrs. It was very frightening, so frightening I don't even like to talk about it now.

R

rasselas

no one says it better than bucks fizz...

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g8fjeG5oCGQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g8fjeG5oCGQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

(they really broke through the dancing with this hit number too... this routine proved once and for all they were not the poor man's brotherhood of man... truly exceptional.)

Last edited: