• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

When did your schizophrenia first start and was there any previous mental health issues before?

W

WDR98

My mental health problems started when I was 19. I went to a doctor who referred me to a mental health team when I was 28 and got a diagnoses of psychosis. My diagnosis now at 40 is chronic schizophrenia. I accept and live with it.

W

WDR98

My mental health problems started when I was 19. I went to a doctor who referred me to a mental health team when I was 28 and got a diagnoses of psychosis. My diagnosis now at 40 is chronic schizophrenia. I accept and live with it.

W

WDR98

My mental health problems started when I was 19. At 28 I went to my doctor who referred me to a mental health team. At that point I was diagnosed with psychosis and treated with medication. I'm forty now and have been on meds since and have a diagnosis of chronic schizophrenia.

W

WDR98

Sorry for the duplicate posts I didn't mean too do that.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I never really was quite normal. My mother said I didn't really talk until the age of 5 when I started school. The school determined that I COULD talk, but for some reason I just DIDN'T very often. I was also a very anxious child and very shy. I have a few memories of hallucinations as a child. When very little, I used to see the statue of Saint Joseph in church moving. One time when walking down our stairs into a dark room I saw a big clown which scared me so much I ran back up the stairs horrified. I also remember seeing a dot on the ceiling of my dark bedroom while I was laying in bed. This dot was slowly moving across the ceiling over my bed and I feared it was a spider that was going to jump down on me. So I got out of bed and turned on the light and saw the dot was only a nail head poking through the plaster of the ceiling. When I was 17 I went through a really difficult bout of depression that I kept to myself. I had basically no friends as I grew up and I only interacted with my brother and sisters. My first symptoms of persistant psychosis was when I was 19, after my 2nd serious depression. But that went away after 6 months on its own without treatment. Then 10 years later it came back and I've been dealing with it ever since.

E

Eugene1988

It has started 30-31. I had no issues before.

Ras

Ras

symptoms started slowly i guess it started when my fiancee at the time was pregnant. Was diagnosed with it when i went into a full on psychotic episode and was hospitalized for 2 months.
that ended with the diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia and ASPD.
Before that though i was diagnosed with conduct disorder and ADHD

Kavaris_Valiant_One

Kavaris_Valiant_One

I think the age of 20 marked the downhill nature of my concurrent mental situation to follow. People say their twenties were their best. My 20's were my worst... It wasnt that bad, pre-disaster, and i had been told by my mom, who at the time had general anxiety- to see a psychiatrist. Something happened some years in, and then it made a lot of sense to start seeing someone. They diagnosed me with schizophrenia. I wasnt in control of my life really at that point, so It took awhile... but eventually i found my way.

N

natalie

Note for mods, I thought I had posted in this thread, maybe I hadn't!

Hi Folks Hi All,

My first issues of mental health flared up in 2001, and t hen 2003. I had a pshycotic episode, back in 2004. Thankfully, and havin g had to come off a certain medication, and onto the one I had been on and still am, since 2007, I haven't had any big issues, and major problems over the years since.

I am soon, tobe, the big 50! In June. I can't remember how old at firs,t back in2001, I was, so this is why I put my soon to be age into the post.

Best regards.

T

toto

Well, I think when I was 15, I had something like my first psychosis. My mother found out I was with a boy she didn't like, and she was horrified that everyone was commenting on our relationship. Then I stood alone and tried to calm down that people are not so interested in me and I'm just another gossip in our village. Then at about 22, when I failed the exam, my mother and father quarreled with me, and the exam was difficult. In fact, in 5 years I had two corrections, and some for 1 semester out of 4 exams had 4 corrections. I was a good student. But my mother frustrated me. Then my 27-year-old daughter was 2 years old, I was afraid to leave her in kindergarten.

T

toto

There were layoffs at work and I was afraid of losing my job. Besides, I was in a sect. I had depression before and maybe OCD, but none were diagnosed. I also have a social phobia, which only occurs when I have to work with clients. Otherwise I am sociable and have always had friends.

J

JHP

Same with me but I have paranoid schizophrenia. It started when I was about 18-19 then I started smoking weed at 28 and that made it worst for me. I ended up being diagnosed later that year. Now i'm 37 years old. What medication do you taking? and do you get any side effects?

L

llittlelostlady

3.5 years ago after a bike smash where I was knocked off my cycle by a hit and run driver.

No previous history of psychosis but was and still am autistic.

Did have some anxiety and depression on my medical record but it was a misdiagnosis....i was getting physical symptoms from an autoimmune condition that had been missed.

L

llittlelostlady

Most of my psych symptoms came from the pills they put me on.