• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

When did you realize you were suffering with anxiety?

Faith198

Faith198

All my life I have been a very reserved shy person. I’d get nervous over speaking to my teachers growing up, talking to other students, raising my hand and asking a question, being late to school, having anxiety about going to school, being worried I’d humiliate myself, etc.
Everyone told me I was just shy and normal though. I didn’t realize what was going on until I hit 14. I started having panic attacks and mistaking them for low blood sugar (I use to not eat breakfast) and heart problems.
That led to me having agoraphobia too.

When did you realize something more was wrong? That you weren’t just “shy” and “nervous“?

I

indigo6

Only in the last few years did I learn that I must have anxiety from childhood. From about 10, I think, I did recall it accurately with therapist not sure right now(thats good that I dont linger on it) but yeah I was already having signs of ocd.

PerpetuallyStuck

PerpetuallyStuck

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I started to struggle at 13, but I wasn't aware of my social anxiety until it was diagnosed by multiple counsellors from the age of 19. It was when I was put under pressure to travel on public transport, and I started to panic, because I had to travel to a city, didn't feel comfortable not knowing my way around, having to make sure I got back to the right train at the right time at the right platform....I just couldn't do it, and my family were like "this isn't normal".....I do think it is stressful and ridiculous how public transport operates, and I don't understand how people can just travel about, when they don't know where anything is. I need to have a good idea of how to get to a place, and who will be there.

5wimmer

When I was about 20. I am 53 now. It was first depression and anxiety.

Faith198

Faith198

Only in the last few years did I learn that I must have anxiety from childhood. From about 10, I think, I did recall it accurately with therapist not sure right now(thats good that I dont linger on it) but yeah I was already having signs of ocd.
Oh yeah I forgot about the ocd. I never realized that’s what I was doing with my pencils til I got older.

Faith198

Faith198

I started to struggle at 13, but I wasn't aware of my social anxiety until it was diagnosed by multiple counsellors from the age of 19. It was when I was put under pressure to travel on public transport, and I started to panic, because I had to travel to a city, didn't feel comfortable not knowing my way around, having to make sure I got back to the right train at the right time at the right platform....I just couldn't do it, and my family were like "this isn't normal".....I do think it is stressful and ridiculous how public transport operates, and I don't understand how people can just travel about, when they don't know where anything is. I need to have a good idea of how to get to a place, and who will be there.
I understand that, it’s even more nerve-racking to end up lost and then ask someone for directions😅. I had that happen once when I was getting off the school bus. Some how I found my way home.
My brother and father always thought I was being a scaredy cat. I mean they never said that but they just told me I need to grow up. I remember my sibling calling me a baby too.
It’s hurtful tbh 😔 they don’t get it.

PerpetuallyStuck

PerpetuallyStuck

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I understand that, it’s even more nerve-racking to end up lost and then ask someone for directions😅. I had that happen once when I was getting off the school bus. Some how I found my way home.
My brother and father always thought I was being a scaredy cat. I mean they never said that but they just told me I need to grow up. I remember my sibling calling me a baby too.
It’s hurtful tbh 😔 they don’t get it.
Strangely, as I've spent plenty of time walking to and from town over the years, I've had a fair few people asking me for directions. Like, a car will pull up and people will ask me where a shop or road is. Usually I know, but it is always a surprise when it happens. They must think I am friendly and have intelligence to have their trust like that, I guess.

My family are kind of weird in that they look after me to an extent and care to an extent, but they really don't understand my issues no matter how much they study it, are set in their ways, and don't want to hear about my worries or change how they treat me. It's like I just exist, and am surviving, rather than having any independence or fun.

At least, it could be worse. Some families fall out really badly.

Faith198

Faith198

Strangely, as I've spent plenty of time walking to and from town over the years, I've had a fair few people asking me for directions. Like, a car will pull up and people will ask me where a shop or road is. Usually I know, but it is always a surprise when it happens. They must think I am friendly and have intelligence to have their trust like that, I guess.

My family are kind of weird in that they look after me to an extent and care to an extent, but they really don't understand my issues no matter how much they study it, are set in their ways, and don't want to hear about my worries or change how they treat me. It's like I just exist, and am surviving, rather than having any independence or fun.

At least, it could be worse. Some families fall out really badly.
sounds similar to mine in a way. Yeah I never know if I’d be better without family or with. A love/hate relationship

R

RedYeti

Things only started to click this past year to two. Always been anxious, occasional panic attack but never understood them or knew what it was.
Probably about half a year ago now? I was at buddies watching basketball and felt like I was getting really anxious or something. 10 mins later I was curled in a ball on their bathroom floor freaking out, sweating, erratic breathing, temperature in flux. Not my finest moment.
Kinda dawned on me that I do have a problem, I thought they’d stop.
Thinking back now, it’s been a precursor to a lot of things I do.

managed to go 22 years with this shit, hopefully now I sort of know what’s going on I can do something about it

Faith198

Faith198

Things only started to click this past year to two. Always been anxious, occasional panic attack but never understood them or knew what it was.
Probably about half a year ago now? I was at buddies watching basketball and felt like I was getting really anxious or something. 10 mins later I was curled in a ball on their bathroom floor freaking out, sweating, erratic breathing, temperature in flux. Not my finest moment.
Kinda dawned on me that I do have a problem, I thought they’d stop.
Thinking back now, it’s been a precursor to a lot of things I do.

managed to go 22 years with this shit, hopefully now I sort of know what’s going on I can do something about it
I’m so sorry, that sounds terrible. I’ve been there. You’re strong to be dealing with that for so long, props to you!

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Everyone has situational anxiety now and then. But dealing with serious, debilitating anxiety is something entirely different. I always knew I was somewhat 'sensitive' to certain kinds of stress, but when I finally had an emotional breakdown at 63 years of age-brought on by the demise of several close family members in a very short period of time-I knew I needed help. I started regular therapy after that and it has helped a great deal, that and a medication adjustment.

Faith198

Faith198

Everyone has situational anxiety now and then. But dealing with serious, debilitating anxiety is something entirely different. I always knew I was somewhat 'sensitive' to certain kinds of stress, but when I finally had an emotional breakdown at 63 years of age-brought on by the demise of several close family members in a very short period of time-I knew I needed help. I started regular therapy after that and it has helped a great deal, that and a medication adjustment.
that’s great you figured it out and that it’s helped you so much, I’m glad. The medication is a life saver and so is therapy.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

that’s great you figured it out and that it’s helped you so much, I’m glad. The medication is a life saver and so is therapy.
Thanks. We all think we're indestructible, that we can deal with any crisis. That's the way I was, right up until the point where I broke down. I confessed to the medication Psychiatrist at our clinic that I really didn't care if I lived or died, my life had become that empty. Over my objections she had me admitted to hospital for a few days and she was exactly right to do so-I had lost the ability to think rationally for myself. We all need folks in our lives to step in for us when it comes to something like that, every man/woman has a breaking point under continual and overbearing stress. For me, it was after 1 1/2 years of a miserable probate battle with an estranged family member-after 2 members of my immediate family passed away two days apart (from unrelated issues). I was having job security concerns at the same time, to compound the personal issues-and then my wife got sick and had to be admitted to hospital for a week. Everyone can have periods like that and it can break the resolve of the strongest of us. Don't be afraid to seek help, I did and I'm FAR happier now and back to loving life. This too shall pass!

Lavender_Rose

Lavender_Rose

I'd say I was 8 or 9 before it was noticed as not normal. Because I was getting sick to my stomach and missing school to much so I was taken to a doctor who recommended a counselor. But I as you was always shy even sometimes around my own parents.

Faith198

Faith198

Thanks. We all think we're indestructible, that we can deal with any crisis. That's the way I was, right up until the point where I broke down. I confessed to the medication Psychiatrist at our clinic that I really didn't care if I lived or died, my life had become that empty. Over my objections she had me admitted to hospital for a few days and she was exactly right to do so-I had lost the ability to think rationally for myself. We all need folks in our lives to step in for us when it comes to something like that, every man/woman has a breaking point under continual and overbearing stress. For me, it was after 1 1/2 years of a miserable probate battle with an estranged family member-after 2 members of my immediate family passed away two days apart (from unrelated issues). I was having job security concerns at the same time, to compound the personal issues-and then my wife got sick and had to be admitted to hospital for a week. Everyone can have periods like that and it can break the resolve of the strongest of us. Don't be afraid to seek help, I did and I'm FAR happier now and back to loving life. This too shall pass!
oh wow I’m so sorry about all of that, I’m glad everything is going alright now. I know it will always be a bumpy road but seeking help was a great thing to do. It’s inspiring to me.

I’ve been dealing with it since I was a teen (also the time I was diagnosed) I think it could have went on before then but I’m not sure. I stopped therapy for a lot of years and medication due to a lot going on. I use to not leave my house.

I’ve been back on meds and I’m starting therapy up again. I feel great about it even though it was hard to tell them how bad it was. Idk whether the abuse in my family led to it or if I was already going to have it. Either way I’m working on it. Hopefully more good keeps coming my way. Your way too 😊