• Welcome! If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

When did you realise you had Schizophrenia?

A

Astrastar

Hello I wonder if you can give me some advice please?

I strongly believe a close family member has this condition but refuses to believe it’s a mental health condition.

Has deteriorated massively over past 18 months; suggests is being watched by colleagues and neighbours, hears buzzing and feels vibrations, has difficulty maintaining relationships etc. It’s heartbreaking to watch. has gone from a successful individual to someone without a job, friends, no money etc.

all the advice tells us that we can’t do anything to help her other than offer support. She has to work it out for herself and go seek medical help when she comes to the realisation.

Is this correct and if so when did you realise that you needed medical intervention?

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

There is nothing stopping her going to a GP and asking for a referral. A psychiatrist will assess her and take the appropriate action.

A

Astrastar

There is nothing stopping her going to a GP and asking for a referral. A psychiatrist will assess her and take the appropriate action.
Thank you but she doesn’t believe she has a mental health condition. She literally loses it if you so much as mention the GP. She suggests she’s experiencing a spiritual attack.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Thank you but she doesn’t believe she has a mental health condition. She literally loses it if you so much as mention the GP. She suggests she’s experiencing a spiritual attack.
I would then ask advice from a GP on her behalf. She may be sectioned if necessary.

Passionflower

Passionflower

I had to get very ill before I would accept help.They eventually sectioned me.

A

Astrastar

I had to get very ill before I would accept help.They eventually sectioned me.
Bless you. I have a feeling she will go the same way. It’s so frustrating as I want to sit her down and explain there is a medical condition that explains every thing she is going through but the advice tells us we shouldn’t do that. In the meantime she is spiralling whilst we stand by and watch 🥺

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Admin
My family went to my GP who arranged a mental health care assessment. I was sectioned and diagnosed with schizophenia/delusional disorder.
I'm so sorry this is happening.
If you believe she's at risk the local mental health care trust have to act. She'll forgive you for getting her help. I did my family.
Hugs

K

karl7

Hello I wonder if you can give me some advice please?

I strongly believe a close family member has this condition but refuses to believe it’s a mental health condition.

Has deteriorated massively over past 18 months; suggests is being watched by colleagues and neighbours, hears buzzing and feels vibrations, has difficulty maintaining relationships etc. It’s heartbreaking to watch. has gone from a successful individual to someone without a job, friends, no money etc.

all the advice tells us that we can’t do anything to help her other than offer support. She has to work it out for herself and go seek medical help when she comes to the realisation.

Is this correct and if so when did you realise that you needed medical intervention?
you could suggest she sees a psychiatrist.

A

Astrastar

Thanks for responses. Our challenge is that she won’t engage if we even hint she has a mental health issue and needs to see a professional.

Do any of you think if a relative had sat you down and explained you needed medical help you would have been open to the idea? She is 100 percent convinced it’s a God thing.

As her family we have spoken to docs but they say she has to either admit she has a problem and come in willingly or become a danger to herself or others and then she’ll get sectioned.

I can’t help thinking that we have to let her deteriorate and then the authorities get involved. It’s a sad outcome.

Linda1989

Linda1989

I was diagnosed at age 17 but really woke up at age 26. I thought I was demon possessed because of christianity. I was close to getting my mind right when the psychtrist said they werw going to wean me off of the medication because I doing good but I stop taking it cold turkey, my life went to shit after that. Im in a good place right now, a little worry about my physical health I believe with the right diet everything will be ok.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Admin
Hi,
I had no insight and couldn't see I had a problem, I was still sectioned even though I wasn't a danger to myself or others.
I have improved however have other physical health problems so still poorly.

J

JinxBun

She will have to realize on her own. A family member might be able to talk to her but she has to want to seek treatment. I didn't realize till I was trying to attempt suicide in my mid 20's

Passionflower

Passionflower

I wouldn't have listened to a family member( had they been living nearby) and I didn't trust the doctors.I was sectioned without being a danger to myself or others.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I had a diagnosis of Psychotic Episodes for 10 years and my voices and delusions were still fierce. I suspected it was chronic and I was schizophrenic. The following year the psychiatrist diagnosed me without me saying a word.