When did you know and how long to get diagnosed? X

Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit

I have been living this rollacoaster ride, thinking it was normal to sleep for 4-5 hours a night for weeks and then 'catch up' by sleeping 18 hours for a few days ...feel full of energy and enthusiasm for everything and then feel a wave of despair and sleep a week in bed questioning reality and the existenial meanings of life ...

In my worst moments I've tried to fight the emptiness with anything that would bring back the high ... Drink, drugs, anything for an rush or high to stop plunging into the void ...

This cycle has been very self destructive.... But I'm now thinking I have a better understanding of myself and the waves and how to ride them out without the chaos ...

I have some PTSD symptoms and I'm coping with anxiety and depression at the moment, could all of the above just be those things ?

So I just wondered does it sound like bipolar II, and when did you know you feel like this and how long did it take to get a clear diagnosis ?

Thanks for reading and any insight would be great thanks x

N

Nina998

I guess what you write is sounding like bipolar disorder.

For me it took 15 years to get the right diagnosis. I got my diagnosis 2,5 years ago. It's still unsure which type it is though doctors seem to be leaning on type l after spending so much time in a hospital.

I didn't realise my symptoms being bipolar until a friend of mine told I should go and see a doctor because I was clearly manic. Then I started to do research of my own and all pieces of my life started to fall in place and everything suddenly made sense. Two months after this I got my diagnosis.

I thought things would improve for me after finally getting the right diagnosis but the last 2,5 years have been the most difficult time of my life. Once again I am recovering from depression and hypomania but I have a bad feeling this rollercoaster ride is about to take another lap...

Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit

I guess what you write is sounding like bipolar disorder.

For me it took 15 years to get the right diagnosis. I got my diagnosis 2,5 years ago. It's still unsure which type it is though doctors seem to be leaning on type l after spending so much time in a hospital.

I didn't realise my symptoms being bipolar until a friend of mine told I should go and see a doctor because I was clearly manic. Then I started to do research of my own and all pieces of my life started to fall in place and everything suddenly made sense. Two months after this I got my diagnosis.

I thought things would improve for me after finally getting the right diagnosis but the last 2,5 years have been the most difficult time of my life. Once again I am recovering from depression and hypomania but I have a bad feeling this rollercoaster ride is about to take another lap...
Thanks for the reply X I'm sorry to hear you are maybe about to take another lap XX

I don't want to be self diagnosing as I know it can be easy to slip into that oh yer that's me mindset but I feel like a diagnosis would help me to understand why I keep on f***ing things up ....
I'm feel very strong and stable at the moment x

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Hi UH my diagnosis have continually changed . First at 14 (1967) nervous exhaustion ( back then that was another term for breakdown)then depression then manic depression before being renamed changed to bipolar 2 then bipolar 1 then finally when in my 50s I was diagnosed schizoaffective , SA , GAD, and major depression. Which Is the diagnosis I’ve still got now I’m in my 60s. I think MH has improved massively over the years when you were either depressive or schizophrenics . I get much better treatment now than I did 20 years ago when they wouldn’t see you for years and just give you meds via the GP. I do know some will disagree with me tho about the treatment

J

Jules5

I was diagnosed 8 years ago with major Depression-but it never occurred to me anything was wrong until I would stop taking medications and the withdraw effects were horrible-I did this a few times before. In the last two years I realized I was suffering from PTSD with severe psychosis. I kept having nervous breakdowns or psychotic breaks-now I am on anti-psychotic medications which have some bad side effects. Who knows what else I will experience so far I am stable just hate the side effects from medications. Like dry mouth swollen throat-dizziness and restlessness. I want to taper off meds and try other alternatives. This forum is so helpful in finding other methods Like exercise, foods and self love. Thanks everyone Hugs