When did you first hear voices?

V

ValGal

Hi! I was wondering at what age did others first started hearing voices? I am 24 and just started. I think it is because I smoked a lot of weed the last couple of years... I think they are ghosts, I can't tell if I know them, sometimes they mess with me, sometimes nice. I think I'm getting more paranoid too, could it be that I was lied to and hurt by my family and friends all my life and now I have severe trust issues against everyone but myself? I'm not even sure I trust myself anymore if there are other voices! Antipsychotic did not seem to help... but I don't think I'll be smoking anymore weed because that's when it's the strongest, I'm hoping they will dissipate if I stop.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
As long as I can remember . As a child they were my imaginary friends and fortunately for me they were normally friendly . I can’t always hear what they are saying they are more like a radio on in another room to me . Occasionally they will shout my name very loudly. But I’ve grown used to them and just ignore them most of the time. I know others tho that have very clear distinct voices.

NWiddi

NWiddi

For me it was just before my 36th birthday in February 2016, apparently this voice has been with me my entire life but chose that time to start talking to me, I think he learned to do it from another voice hearer he encountered.

L

linus

Your theory is at least a bit funny :) I wonder sometimes if delusions/hallucinations can be something like a spin-off/fork and they have a separate thread (I chose some IT wording) in one’s mind, but I wouldn’t consider them as separate “people” with autonomy, rather unconscious thoughts or reflections.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I started hearing voices at age 19 when I was in college. Then after a year they completely went away without any treatment. Then after 10 good years they came back. Now even with treatment they have been with me for 20 years.

fazza

fazza

13 that's when it all started to go wrong with the voices although I was having visual hallucinations from the age of 7.

V

ValGal

As long as I can remember . As a child they were my imaginary friends and fortunately for me they were normally friendly . I can’t always hear what they are saying they are more like a radio on in another room to me . Occasionally they will shout my name very loudly. But I’ve grown used to them and just ignore them most of the time. I know others tho that have very clear distinct voices.
Interesting! My mom told me I had an entire imaginary family for years that I talked about in great detail and spent a lot of time talking to them on my toy phone lol. I often wonder if it's all due to a wild imagination.

V

ValGal

For me it was just before my 36th birthday in February 2016, apparently this voice has been with me my entire life but chose that time to start talking to me, I think he learned to do it from another voice hearer he encountered.
Did he say why he chose that date?! I've tried to ask mine but I think there may be multiple...

V

ValGal

For sure you should stop smoking weed, ask for help from a pmed if you feel you can't do it by yourself.
yes I think you're very right I have tried for 2 years now on my own but when it became legalized where I live recently that made it quite difficult because there are stores everywhere!!!

NWiddi

NWiddi

Did he say why he chose that date?! I've tried to ask mine but I think there may be multiple...
It was just the point in his life when he found out how to talk to me, he had been masquerading as my own thoughts up until then so I've been hearing him all my life but thought it was my own inner monologue.

E

ernesto3

19. It’s been going on for like 3-4 months and was also drug-induced. I think it has something to do with using so many drugs or things that cause excess dopamine release that I now have too many dopamine receptors (the cause for many hallucinations). I suggest you try Risperdal. I’m on 1mg & after two weeks, they’ve become manageable.

Mine started when I was at my university in my dorm. I was talking to a girl I liked on the phone when I hear someone say her name & I thought it was somebody outside spying on me.

Mr.NiceGuy

Mr.NiceGuy

I can remember being like 10 and imagining recording my ears for the whistling noise in them. It wasn't until I was 17 or 18 where I had a telekinetic experience with people at a party. I can remember from around this age making jokes with voices, as if someone was laughing with me. Then around 25 I started talking to people with my mind and by 28 I was suffering what they call schizophrenia, but more of an intense belief in telepathy, and I've had regular episodes since then, now 35.

B

BrytonJade

2012, I was 18. I was getting stoned with my best friend and this girl, I wax extremely stoned and this girl said something to me without moving her lips looking right into my eyes. I didn't think anything of it, it was just weird but it didn't freak me out. Then a little while after I was sitting at my friend's house, stoned as fuck again and I swear I hear my cousin say "Bryton's a bitch" lol I did not know what telepathy was at the time. But then things started to get dark when I was stoned. I would hear this voice just talking to me, saying stuff like "you're gunna die" and other crazy things. Then I began to hear the voices of people around me or whose house I was in, sometimes they'd talk shit and say personal shit about me. 2012 changed me, man.

Mr.NiceGuy

Mr.NiceGuy

2012, I was 18. I was getting stoned with my best friend and this girl, I wax extremely stoned and this girl said something to me without moving her lips looking right into my eyes. I didn't think anything of it, it was just weird but it didn't freak me out. Then a little while after I was sitting at my friend's house, stoned as fuck again and I swear I hear my cousin say "Bryton's a bitch" lol I did not know what telepathy was at the time. But then things started to get dark when I was stoned. I would hear this voice just talking to me, saying stuff like "you're gunna die" and other crazy things. Then I began to hear the voices of people around me or whose house I was in, sometimes they'd talk shit and say personal shit about me. 2012 changed me, man.
Some people start hearing voices for all sorts of reasons. Ghosthunting is one. I started hearing them after I started interacting with them directly. Like I use to hear my space heater as if it was a continuous yelling at me. I would stiffen up but wouldn't consider it a real person. Then while I was having a rabbit hole attack, I thought the weird rambling yelling coming from the fan was an easy way for the authority in my room to communicate with me, generally bothering me that they are going to arrest me. Then after I got out of the hole and was normal again the fan still sounds like a yelling but I don't let it sink in at all and feel completely normal.

wolram

wolram

It was 2008 i started hearing voices, i had been a very heavy drinker for some years before this stated, and i had smoked a lot of weed.
I was driving home from work and suddenly this voice was shouting at me, i didn't know what the hell it was but i was so shocked i drove my car into a field gate way, it has been with me ever since, I call mine Shit head and brown nose because of all the filthy things they say to me.

V

ValGal

Yeah I don't like looking people in the eyes because when I do I hear them or scared they'll hear me especially when stoned. I hate when it gets dark like that!

V

ValGal

It was 2008 i started hearing voices, i had been a very heavy drinker for some years before this stated, and i had smoked a lot of weed.
I was driving home from work and suddenly this voice was shouting at me, i didn't know what the hell it was but i was so shocked i drove my car into a field gate way, it has been with me ever since, I call mine Shit head and brown nose because of all the filthy things they say to me.
I'm sorry, I wish they said nicer things to you!