• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

whats wrong with me :(((

I

irishbrads

just wondering if i suffer from depression or self pity!! had the worst day yesterday, real feeling of guilt, terrible sadness, honestly spent the whole day thinking of suicide and how worthless my life is, honeslty couldn't see anything positive in my life. i have a decent job that i get on well in, i have plenty of friends and a pretty good social life, get on really well with my family yet sometimes i just can't shake a real feeling of sadness. i have a history of anxiety which is either caused by the depression or vice versa and it affects my sleep etc sometimes. i split up with my girlfriend about 3 months ago and spent the whole day thinking about her and how much i let her down and how much i hate myself.

the thing is i get days then when i'm in top form, really happy, very positive outlook on life, its nearly like i'm up one day and down the next, people who know me wouldn't really know i struggle some days like this. any ideas, thinkin of going to see a doctor as the days i feel like this i feel like i'm on the brink of tears all day!!!

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
hi irishbrads. Well all I can say is that it certainly sounds like depression. One feature of the illness is that it is possible to ascribe the feelings/thoughts/symptoms you have to some sort of 'weakness', to self-pity. If you are depressed this is a seriously bad thing to do as it leads to guilt which is one of the worst things for depression and so you get more depressed - which leads to more guilt and so on.

Therefore I would most definitely advise that you go and see your GP. If necessary write down what you have been feeling and take the notes with you, or even take someone with you if you have a suitable person.

As to there being no obvious cause I am afraid (as you will see if you stay around which I hope you do :)) that this is true for quite a few. It was certainly true of me when I was first diagnosed (in the Dark Ages!) - I was committed and involved at work, good friends etc.. There most definitely does NOT have to be an obvious reason for depression.

Of course we cannot judge here, but the symptoms you describe are all classic symptoms of depression - so as I say I certainly advise a visit to the GP.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Nick.

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Hi there I agree with Nick often there isn't an obvious cause of depression, instead there are lots of causes and things that trigger it.I was told my depression had biological social and psychological causes!
A trip to the doctor is a very good idea.
KP

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Yeah I would def advise a trip to the DRs. Depression is an individual illness.. there are many different symptoms many of which can be treated.

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
I agree with everything thats already been said. Hope you see your GP and get the help you need, take care.

E

elpi111

I agree with what's been said. DO make written notes of how you have been feeling and thinking so when you see the doctor you can use it to help you. It can be a little difficult the first time you see a doctor about mental health problems so having that piece of paper can help. In the meantime, take it one day at a time and be yourself. I say that because, sometimes, when people do have a loving network of people around them they try to protect others when they should be looking after themselves.

All the best...