• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

whats the worst thing anyone said to you whilst ill?

Rosepoet

Rosepoet

ex husband said pull yorself together.......wen i asked for help with the kids......words hurt when u ill so please think before using throwaway expressions

C

calastars

"It's just the weather, you will feel better soon"

D

DELATEXT

Someone told me you're an effing mongol, you should be in the looney bin !!
needless to say I remonstrated with them verbally and suggested their head visit their anus !!
People can be so cruel...:whistle::whistle:

S

starfish

so i am deeply depressed, and my father says to me just snap out of it!!!!!!!!!!

megirl

megirl

A nursing collegue of mine said "why dont you just go and kill yourself" No 1 BITCH everyone at work hates her. I wonder why???????
LOL

C

crs

I had a six month relationship (painfully ending in February) with a gorgeous young woman who I have come to regard as a psychopath. When her behaviour towards me was making me feel low spirited I heard her whisper (loud enough so I was meant to hear): "Oh, you're such a victim".

I adored her but she was frequently horrible to me...

Rosepoet

Rosepoet

There is no such thing......

.....as depression.....aaaaarg some idiot i heard on tv...obviously speakin out his rear end

Jo1760

Jo1760

The whole snap out of it phrase is very frustrating, however i dont think its the worst thing. 2 different friends of mine said 2 things:

(1) 'Well i had a friend who was depressed and she came out, so you cant feel that bad' (When I didn't get out of bed and wasn;t sociable at all for a few months).

And certainly the best one..... (while i was signed off work for 7 months)

(2) 'What on earth have you been doing with your time, you must have been sooooo bored' (yeah right, bored that's a good one... Couldn't function or get out of bed so wasn't in the slightest bored)

Its pretty hard to take comments from other people isn't it. I think so anyway....... I do also think the media plays a pretty big part in the way people view depression, even recently the Daily Mail ran an article written by Janet Street-Porter which I couldn't bare to read but saw the title and it just knocked me for 6. Really very difficult.

Take care everyone.

X

bubbling under

bubbling under

Worse thing which was said to me has been.....'what have you got to be miserable about'.....hmm cheers then!

Jo1760

Jo1760

Thats a really difficult one to hear isn't it..... Its so nice when you get compared to other people after that sentence also....... So nice of them!

epic fale boy

epic fale boy

it's a joint first for just about anything my pa's ever said about any part of my mental health problems. bless him, but he's a bastard. if he realised how much of a bastard the shock might well kill him, so i can't get too peed.

but, for example, if I dare to venture an opinion on anything it's a case of 'what do you know? you're an alcoholic mentalist. shut up. i'm right'... he pulls that one even if we're talking about stuff he knows NAFF ALL about. Bloody football. He only started watching it a couple of years ago... But the moment I meekly try and suggest that perhaps the ref did get that one right, technically it was a hand-ball... 'what do you know? you're an alcoholic mentalist. shut up. i'm right' (it sounds like he's joking and accidentally being nasty. he ain't jokin) (and he's done it forever... and then he wonders why I was always trying to hang myself as a kid... me that's nuts? ME??!)

I love him to bits tho, he might always have been a bastard, but he's always been there (been there being a bastard lol)

Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel

I was in hospital with severe depression and one of the support workers asked me "whats wrong you look bored?", to which I replied "no, I'm unwell". Was the most thoughtless question ever asked! but I did have to laugh about it with my friend, who also had the misfortune of being in hospital with the same guy!

Angel

Rosepoet

Rosepoet

she had a good life.......

....well meanin nurse after mum died ....actually she had terrible life

Gail

Gail

at a 117 meeting my pdoc said" There are some people for whom the mental health system is toxic and you are one of them".
Crisis team member on phone Have a bath and a warm drink it will help you, after i had told him how bad/suicidal i was feeling, i ended up getting sectioned that night.
It must be time to drink paracetamol this from a a+e nurse after i had taken a very bad od of them.
If you really wanted to kill yourself you would go ahead and do it with out telling anyone, this while they were holding me under Duty of Care so that i could be accessed under the MHA.
Well done you are our first Christmas overdose from well meaning consultant who saw me in normal hospital.
You just do it for the attention this from security guard at hospital after i had tried to leave normal hospital after sh myself.
I could go on with loads like this but sadly i have been thou the mental health system/sectioned a few times.

Last edited:
amathus

amathus

I get this a lot; " well you look well anyway"!!...
What do they know?

meteos.