• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What's the point of evil?

chesterking

chesterking

Why is there evil in the world? What is the point of it?
My father says you need evil to see what good is, you can not have one without the other? Is this true? What do you people think?

I personally think, there is no need for evil in the world. There is no point of it.

E

Eigau

Hi Chesterking, it may depend largely on whether a person is religious or not. I once spoke to a hard core atheist woman. Her thinking was that evil did not exist. The death of millions in wars was the result of population control and thought of as an ultimately positive thing. She believed that all things that are considered evil would have an ultimately beneficial outcome. I'm not sure that all atheists would think this way though.

I believe that evil is the result of Satan's influence over mankind and mankind's imperfect condition. In my opinion, Satan is the ruler of this world and the world displays the characteristics of it's ruler. Because we are imperfect we cannot always defend ourselves from Satan's influence and we can do things to each other that might be unthinkable.

In my opinion, you do not need evil to appreciate the good. If that was the case, when we get sick, why do we go to the doctor for a remedy?

The talk about Satan, may not be appreciated, but it is just one viewpoint of many.

Te

Q

Quickduck

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm working from the assumption that when you talk about evil you don't mean bad stuff that just happens, nature and suchlike, but instead human evil; the sort of evil that comes out of human frailty and incompetence, our unerring ability to mess stuff up and mess each other up. The rest (in my opinion) is nature and suffering, not nice, but not evil.

Asking why there is evil in the world suggests you're looking for meaning in evil, but I don't think there is any; evil is inherently meaningless, it has no point. Good is the creation of meaning out of meaninglessness through people behaving justly and combating evil. And so if there's a point it's not in evil itself but instead only in its relationship to good. Evil is the catalyst, good is the point.

You can't have good without evil, the word good would have no meaning without the word evil, it would just be stuff people did. The moment someone did something bad evil would be born, but so too would be good as the 'stuff people did' would immediately be thrown into sharp relief and be seen in opposition to evil and as being good.

U

UMPALUMPA

If no evil/cruel things happened in life then good and happy times would not exist.

We would not know the feeling of happyness, if someone can only see everything as evil/bad/cruel or pointless then I would say they are suffering a symptom of Depression.

( I view all life like this when I am very low )

Try not to think everything is all bad Chester because that will drag you down deeper. Xx

Kerome

Kerome

I hold mostly to the Buddhist view. I think there is a lot of randomness in the world that causes suffering, from things like natural disasters to tripping over a pile of dog poo. If you see evil in that you have a problem with your insight, it is a problem of not seeing things clearly.

And people cause each other suffering, and that that is usually due to people being in the grip of the Three Poisons - greed, anger or delusion - or not seeing things clearly because of other lesser causes. People can grow to be twisted by these things, so that their problems are deep seated, but often things like causing other people violence are just an expression of how deeply they themselves hurt deep inside. Even something that appears truly evil, like random and persistent malice, can be explained in those terms.

So yes, I think evil does not exist, it is only a trick of the human condition, manifesting the shadow side that people either inherited from their parents or have allowed to grow inside themselves. It is each person's duty to get to grips with that shadow side, work to lessen its influence, to grow compassion and stay in touch with the original love we all feel as children.

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I hold mostly to the Buddhist view. I think there is a lot of randomness in the world that causes suffering, from things like natural disasters to tripping over a pile of dog poo. If you see evil in that you have a problem with your insight, it is a problem of not seeing things clearly.

And people cause each other suffering, and that that is usually due to people being in the grip of the Three Poisons - greed, anger or delusion - or not seeing things clearly because of other lesser causes. People can grow to be twisted by these things, so that their problems are deep seated, but often things like causing other people violence are just an expression of how deeply they themselves hurt deep inside. Even something that appears truly evil, like random and persistent malice, can be explained in those terms.

So yes, I think evil does not exist, it is only a trick of the human condition, manifesting the shadow side that people either inherited from their parents or have allowed to grow inside themselves. It is each person's duty to get to grips with that shadow side, work to lessen its influence, to grow compassion and stay in touch with the original love we all feel as children.
Dear God if ever there were a light.........
24dad7f5f30a31b82d6ab7a9bb10fa4b_zpsaotfwwoo.png
Thank you so so much.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Evil - I am no stranger to it. Evil causes others to suffer. We all suffer to an extent.

It is not as if life is hard enough without others doing evil.

It should be possible for us all to live in harmony with nature - but still there is much fear and ignorance.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z Wellbeing 5