• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What's the point in being social?

Zaz

Zaz

I stumbled across this site recently and thought I'd give it a go. I don't usually do the internet but I was at a very low ebb and struggling with very little help from my GP or key worker and my invisible psychiatrist. So I guess I was looking for some kind of human interaction which is difficult in a world where you have to wear a mask and avoid contact with people. Where we're told that staying apart is bringing us closer together...
So I thought oooh a mental health forum with like minded people and stories of understanding and coping from people who know what it's like to feel depressed, alone, isolated, different, not accepted in the world...
And yet here I am now feeling more alone, more isolated and even further from feeling like i belong in this world.
The older i get the more confused i become and the less i seem to know or understand.
I guess I'll just self isolate and shield and socially distance myself away in my empty bubble until Bill Gates decides I can have a life again...20200915_113210.jpg

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

Do you have stage freight in real life? That's how I feel about this site sometimes.

B

bpd2020

I am so sorry joining this site has made you feel more alone. That is very sad to hear. To me it looked like you were being very sociable and having interactions.

Zaz

Zaz

Stage fright yes that's a good way of describing it. I do experience that very much.

Zaz

Zaz

You're right BPD I've had interactions on here. I guess how I'm feeling is more to do with me and my own insecurities rather than anything to do with here.

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

Stage fright yes that's a good way of describing it. I do experience that very much.
I used to sing in a chore but I started lip singing and dropped out. Now I'm on this site. Not really the same but you get it. I was the only one who didn't make select group so I dropped out. How do you feel about your stage freight? Almost like its major? Or less on the site?

B

bpd2020

I think it is hard joining a forum. People seem to know each other and you have to just fit in somehow. To me you have been contributing so well especially as you are new.

Zaz

Zaz

I used to sing in a chore but I started lip singing and dropped out. Now I'm on this site. Not really the same but you get it. I was the only one who didn't make select group so I dropped out. How do you feel about your stage freight? Almost like its major? Or less on the site?
It's pretty major I'd say. I'm new to this site though and maybe I just need to settle in. I'm very up and down at the moment and maybe just feeling things that aren't real. I'm just not sure.

Zaz

Zaz

I think it is hard joining a forum. People seem to know each other and you have to just fit in somehow. To me you have been contributing so well especially as you are new.
You're right it is difficult. I do feel like people all know each other and I'm like an outsider looking in. Maybe I'm looking for too much and as is my way....looking for negatives rather than positives. I need to calm down.

B

bpd2020

Just bare in mind that you have only been here a few weeks so you will not know everybody. I have been here longer and I do not know everybody myself. I think you are a lot more sociable then me as you join in with the chatting threads. You are doing your best.

N

Nukelavee

For a site like this, I think part of getting to know (new) people is learning and understanding how their issues affect them, to reduce friction.

I mean, in 8 months, I don't think I really "know" anybody here, but I feel safe interacting.

E

Elisante

I see you in various threads very often. You seem like a friendly person.

The lockdown and the various restrictions have taken a toll on many people's mental health and social life. And online forums are a poor imitation of actual human interaction (in my opinion). You still have time to form friendships here though :hug1:. You're bound to like someone.

The chill out lounge may help you feel better

Zaz

Zaz

For a site like this, I think part of getting to know (new) people is learning and understanding how their issues affect them, to reduce friction.

I mean, in 8 months, I don't think I really "know" anybody here, but I feel safe interacting.
I feel quite safe here too 😊

Zaz

Zaz

I see you in various threads very often. You seem like a friendly person.

The lockdown and the various restrictions have taken a toll on many people's mental health and social life. And online forums are a poor imitation of actual human interaction (in my opinion). You still have time to form friendships here though :hug1:. You're bound to like someone.

The chill out lounge may help you feel better
I like to look upon myself as a friendly person. I don't have much confidence though and my habit of beating myself up mentally doesn't help. I agree actual human interaction is more important to me and I find it more helpful but at least on here I know other people are experiencing similar things. There are several people who's posts I like reading and feel a connection with but I could never tell them through fear of looking stupid or rejection. I'm a work in progress lol
Thanks for your kind words 😊 means a lot 😊