• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What's the Best advice you have been given (mental health related)

B

Baldanc

What's the Best advice you have been given (mental health related)

jajingna

jajingna

For me it could be just avoiding junky foods. I've found this is something I can manage. It has become easier over time, such that after a few months I have little interest in all that sugary stuff I ate before. This has made life a little better, I feel a bit healthier, and I've lost a few pounds too. Mentally I'm not sure I'm much better off. Maybe less brain fog. They say food affects mood though.

S

sab1978

Best “advice”...that 99% of my thoughts are delusions programmed by my parents, society, etc. Seriously, most of what we tell ourselves is complete nonsense.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
most nhs advice is crap given by middle class proffessionals who have no idea about these areas, they don't understand what is meant by the police are a middle class instrument, they give advice assuming if the shit hits the fan the police will support you when the police are only in these areas on riot duty

A

Am33

Our minds are just like a computer .A computer can only do what its programmed to do change the programming it changes the computer . We wouldn't think of not having some kind of virus protection for our computers but we don't think about protection for our minds ? Once a a virus gets into a computer it effects all the programing until it crashes . Same thing with our minds we might have taken in a virus ( a limiting belief ) and We have to go back through the files of our minds a look for viruses and delete them through therapy .

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
some things can't be changed therapy can't help. definately nhs crap cbt won't help, i was going to the theatre with a social worker friend she said your looking well, i said i hope not i've got a benefit interview tue she said cognitive therapy wouldn't work for you

when i said that to some nhs therapist she wrote on my notes that i had reported feeling anxious when my friend who was a social worker said i look well she didn't mention what my friend said

you know it's their spin that goes on your notes

ipanema

ipanema

To not force relationships with toxic people. You don't need to have a bunch of friends, you need to have the ones that understand you and are there for you. The same goes for family.

JessisMe

JessisMe

“It’s not your fault.” So much of mental health and living with a mental illness has negative implications. It’s easy to forget that we didn’t ask for these things or do anything to bring them
upon us. They just are.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
the best advice mental health related i got from a friend was when my dad died his advice was don't even bother contacting them, they'll just make things worse.

i kept on phoning the psychiatrist got the secretary who said she'll phone back, and waited in for a call that never came when i could have gone for a walk

just trying to contact them just gets you transferred backwards and forwards or getting an answer machine that if you leave a message you hear nothing back not worth the effort