• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What's right and what's not?

N

Nj235

Not sure if anyone can actually answer or if it's more just to express myself but I was previously in an abusive relationship. My current relationship is very up and down. I'm now confused though with what's a 'normal' relationship argument and what's mental abuse

Jimny

Jimny

Hi NJ, You may need to give some examples. You say your current relationship is 'up and down'? A 'normal' relationship is very hard to define, what's 'normal'?

N

Nj235

I guess when arguing, what's right, it's hard to explain, how much name calling and swearing is appropriate kinda thing

Jimny

Jimny

i always found arguing takes two participants, remove one and its just some one shouting.
I always have found name calling abusive and I am sure many would agree that it is abuse. Personally I have just come out of an abusive relationship, most of the damage was done with words.
It's an easy trap to fall in to when some one calls somebody a name and the other retaliates in the same manner. I tried this but found it hurt me even more.
Can I ask how long have you been with this person?

N

Nj235

Nearly 5 years. I don't do the whole name calling thing cos I know it hurts

Jimny

Jimny

I don't wish to sound intrusive, you don't have to answer my questions.
It does hurt, short and long term. I assume it's the other person who calls the names, has this been a recent development?
i know that I had wished in my situation that had my boundaries been firmer I would have walked when the name calling started, I will never accept that again.

N

Nj235

Probably not that recent, maybe after a year but we tend to have periods of getting on ok and then periods of it being bad.
I said exactly the same after my previous relationship but now I'm wondering if I'm there again.
I didn't accept myprevious relationship was abusive till after it

N

Nj235

And like 'threats' again I don't know if this is normal. I said to him that if he's that unhappy then he should leave, I then get told 'don't tempt me' .

Then another text from him,

If you want me to change my mind just say. If not then for your own good, shut your mouth

I mean I don't know if I over think or that's normal relationship stuff, I drive myself mad wondering!

Jimny

Jimny

I didn't accept mine was either and then I went in to another worse one.
What made some sense to me recently (when in the relationship I just seemed to refuse to listen to anyone) was 'what would you advise your best friend if this were happening to them'.

N

Nj235

I don't have any friends!
But I really don't know, I grew up with my parents never arguing at all, to go into an abusive relationship. That's why I'm unsure how it should be

Jimny

Jimny

Have you spoke to each other or thought about relationship Councelling? Might be a good idea to get your opinions across without the aggressive response in a mediated situation.

Jimny

Jimny

I am not sure of the cost implications, I just looked at Relates website which does not mention costs. Might be worth a look?

N

Nj235

They charge too and I doubt it's something he'd do to be honest

Jimny

Jimny

They do but they also have subsidised rates. I see a subsidised therapist and am happy with the service I receive.
Perhaps if you mentioned how you are unable to voice your opinions without a row ensuing in one of the quieter moments he may agree.