• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What's my class of Personality Disorder

Guy12182

Guy12182

I'm a person that wants to know and understand every disorder I have. I search to have it defined for me as well as being able to take inventory of symptoms involving these disorders so I can also confirm my diagnosis with my doctor/therapist.Meaning, just because a trained professional diagnoses and marks me down with a disorder, I must finalize this with my understanding and approval after I research this and add up all the symptoms to this disorder and feel I have them or feel them.

If I remember correctly, I've been listed(diagnosed) as having Bi-polar, Severe anxiety and Drug Dependency(Marijuana Only).

But you know something, I do my research and do this with an open mind and comparability to what I feel. Because only I know what I feel, not a therapist. Because therapist only have so much time for sessions(45 minute basic time) to listen to your issues and concerns. But just think about it.

Example of why I think I needed to be diagnosed with Personality Disorder:
After researching, I feel I meet the criteria of:

Class A

Paranoid Personality Disorder... defined
The essential feature for this type of personality disorder is interpreting the actions of others as deliberately threatening or demeaning. People with paranoid personality disorder are untrusting, unforgiving, and prone to angry or aggressive outbursts without justification because they perceive others as unfaithful, disloyal, condescending or deceitful. This type of person may also be jealous, guarded, secretive, and scheming, and may appear to be emotionally “cold” or excessively serious.

Class B
Borderline Personality Disorder...defined
People with borderline personality disorder are unstable in several areas, including interpersonal relationships, behavior, mood, and self-image. Abrupt and extreme mood changes, stormy interpersonal relationships, an unstable and fluctuating self-image, unpredictable and self-destructive actions characterize the person with borderline personality disorder. These individuals generally have great difficulty with their own sense of identity. They often experience the world in extremes, viewing others as either “all good” or “all bad.” A person with borderline personality may form an intense personal attachment with someone only to quickly dissolve it over a perceived slight. Fears of abandonment may lead to an excessive dependency on others. Self-multilation or recurrent suicidal gestures may be used to get attention or manipulate others. Impulsive actions, chronic feelings of boredom or emptiness, and bouts of intense inappropriate anger are other traits of this disorder, which is more common among females.

Class C
Avoidant Personality Disorder...defined
Avoidant personalities are often hypersensitive to rejection and are unwilling to become involved with others unless they are sure of being liked. Excessive social discomfort, timidity, fear of criticism, avoidance of social or work activities that involve interpersonal contact are characteristic of the avoidant personality. They are fearful of saying something considered foolish by others; worry they will blush or cry in front of others; and are very hurt by any disapproval by others. People with avoidant personality disorder may have no close relationships outside of their family circle, although they would like to, and are upset at their inability to relate well to others.

Class C
Avoidant Personality Disorder..defined
Avoidant personalities are often hypersensitive to rejection and are unwilling to become involved with others unless they are sure of being liked. Excessive social discomfort, timidity, fear of criticism, avoidance of social or work activities that involve interpersonal contact are characteristic of the avoidant personality. They are fearful of saying something considered foolish by others; worry they will blush or cry in front of others; and are very hurt by any disapproval by others. People with avoidant personality disorder may have no close relationships outside of their family circle, although they would like to, and are upset at their inability to relate well to others.

and most definitely this one I have:

Class C

Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder....defined
Compulsive personalities are conscientious and have high levels of aspiration, but they also strive for perfection. Never satisfied with their achievements, people with compulsive personality disorder take on more and more responsibilities. They are reliable, dependable, orderly, and methodical, but their inflexibility often makes them incapable of adapting to changed circumstances. People with compulsive personality are highly cautious, weigh all aspects of a problem, and pay attention to every detail, making it difficult for them to make decisions and complete tasks. When their feelings are not under strict control, events are unpredictable, or they must rely on others, compulsive personalities often feel a sense of isolation and helplessness.

[Moderator Edit: the above is taken from Borderline Personality Disorder - Personality Disorders ]

So the moral to my post is I have personality disorder whether it's listed in my charts or not. Having mental illness for more then 45 years is like going to college to learn. I experience all the stressors, I live through the stressors, I volunteer myself into therapies, inpatient, crisis and even drug rehabs.
(and what's funny is the drug rehabs tried to blame my marijuana use for my symptoms, what a laugh. When I'm straight, I really see how others can be wrong and use little common sense or courtesy, the world is still what it is even off drugs such as only pot. The only problem with pot would be wasting money on expensive good stuff!!

Hope others can relate to what I'm saying here. Any ideas?
Thanks always for your help,
Guy~

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Forevertrying

I'm a person that wants to know and understand every disorder I have. I search to have it defined for me as well as being able to take inventory of symptoms involving these disorders so I can also confirm my diagnosis with my doctor/therapist.Meaning, just because a trained professional diagnoses and marks me down with a disorder, I must finalize this with my understanding and approval after I research this and add up all the symptoms to this disorder and feel I have them or feel them.

If I remember correctly, I've been listed(diagnosed) as having Bi-polar, Severe anxiety and Drug Dependency(Marijuana Only).

But you know something, I do my research and do this with an open mind and comparability to what I feel. Because only I know what I feel, not a therapist. Because therapist only have so much time for sessions(45 minute basic time) to listen to your issues and concerns. But just think about it.

Class A

The essential feature for this type of personality disorder is interpreting the actions of others as deliberately threatening or demeaning. People with paranoid personality disorder are untrusting, unforgiving, and prone to angry or aggressive outbursts without justification because they perceive others as unfaithful, disloyal, condescending or deceitful. This type of person may also be jealous, guarded, secretive, and scheming, and may appear to be emotionally “cold” or excessively serious.

Class B
People with borderline personality disorder are unstable in several areas, including interpersonal relationships, behavior, mood, and self-image. Abrupt and extreme mood changes, stormy interpersonal relationships, an unstable and fluctuating self-image, unpredictable and self-destructive actions characterize the person with borderline personality disorder. These individuals generally have great difficulty with their own sense of identity. They often experience the world in extremes, viewing others as either “all good” or “all bad.” A person with borderline personality may form an intense personal attachment with someone only to quickly dissolve it over a perceived slight. Fears of abandonment may lead to an excessive dependency on others. Self-multilation or recurrent suicidal gestures may be used to get attention or manipulate others. Impulsive actions, chronic feelings of boredom or emptiness, and bouts of intense inappropriate anger are other traits of this disorder, which is more common among females.

Class C

Class C

Class C

Compulsive personalities are conscientious and have high levels of aspiration, but they also strive for perfection. Never satisfied with their achievements, people with compulsive personality disorder take on more and more responsibilities. They are reliable, dependable, orderly, and methodical, but their inflexibility often makes them incapable of adapting to changed circumstances. People with compulsive personality are highly cautious, weigh all aspects of a problem, and pay attention to every detail, making it difficult for them to make decisions and complete tasks. When their feelings are not under strict control, events are unpredictable, or they must rely on others, compulsive personalities often feel a sense of isolation and helplessness.

So the moral to my post is I have personality disorder whether it's listed in my charts or not. Having mental illness for more then 45 years is like going to college to learn. I experience all the stressors, I live through the stressors, I volunteer myself into therapies, inpatient, crisis and even drug rehabs.
(and what's funny is the drug rehabs tried to blame my marijuana use for my symptoms, what a laugh. When I'm straight, I really see how others can be wrong and use little common sense or courtesy, the world is still what it is even off drugs such as only pot. The only problem with pot would be wasting money on expensive good stuff!!

Guy~
If you feel you have this the best thing for you to do is speak to your GP. No one here can diagnose or suggest a diagnosis as your GP will know you more than anyone here, and they may refer you to someone who can help. Therapists do not usually make a diagnosis if they are for example a person centered therapist, but there are medical professionals who diagnose mental health concerns. I personally would not research so deeply, its very good to be aware , sometimes if you over research suddenly you may develope more symptoms, so could be counterproductive.

Last edited:
Guy12182

Guy12182

I'm not sure if I agree. I am an EMT and I know it's not good for patients to self diagnose. I'm not trying to do this, I'm looking at symptoms, adding them up by saying yes-I have this symptom, I feel it, I see this in my life.
For example, take a disorder, it has 10 symptoms, I have 9 out of ten symptoms. I'd say I have this disorder most likely. Yes, there is always a chance I don't have this. But if the phrase fits, wear it.
Thank you for your reply Forevertrying.

question, what do you mean by GP? General Psychiatrist?

B

Braveheart

Class A

Class B

Class C

Class C

Class C

[Moderator Edit: the above is taken from Borderline Personality Disorder - Personality Disorders ]

Guy~
It was good to read your post,very educative. Thank you

W

WhySoSerious

Remember that diagnosis requires hours of semi structured cliincal interviews. All symptoms must take place over a variety of contexts and over a period of years. Multiple examples of the impairment must be given. It's not all that straight forward. Most people who believe they have a personality disorder do not from my experience.

Passionflower

Passionflower

GP = family doctor.