• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

whats it like when you hear voices?

thing fish

thing fish

is it like a voice in your head or is it like there is actually someone in a room with you talking to you?
always been curious about this

iffybob

iffybob

Me

It has only happened to me a couple of times, but it was directly on my head, like it had no direction of origin like other sounds have ..... made me jump ... then freeked me out ... understandabley I should think ..

thing fish

thing fish

yes but it is it your voice that you hear or a strangers? hows it work

iffybob

iffybob

Ummm

I suppose , it did not sound like me... its not like the voice I hear when I am talking to myself in my head ... or my 'spoken voice',... but I cant say it sounded like anyone .. it did sound male is the best I can decide..

W

wobblythighs

My voices start off in my head - not my voice or thoughts though - just a voice - always male. As I get more and more wrapped up in them, it turns to actual voices outsise of my head. I can actually hear them, in the room - right next to me. I also hear noises at first - the computer, dvd player or other electircial device and its them talking through the electronics.
Hope you find the answers you are looking for

dib4uk

dib4uk

is it like a voice in your head or is it like there is actually someone in a room with you talking to you?
always been curious about this
I sometimes hear voices in my head, at random times of the day but generally when I'm trying to get to sleep or when I'm asleep. Sometimes its a rambled account of rubbish talk, other times its just someone calling out my name.

These voices that I hear- hear them less due to the meds that I'm on now- are not mine, their generally male but the recent voice was a woman that I dont know.

keepsafe

keepsafe

Both for me inside and outside - One voice is known to me the others are strangers - but not strangers now really - I know them all

A

Ainsworth

yep same for me, internal and external voices. the most outspoken one is male and a pain in the arse, sometimes funny.

iffybob

iffybob

Sit

boB ... sits and waits for UnRX to bite mark.uk ..... :cool:

S

skyblue

I have Bipolar and when I'm going through severe episodes or am partically stressed I hear three types of voices. Two voices are people that I know of and I can hear them clearly, like as if they were sitting next to me.
The other voices are large groups of people that are chatting and laughing loudly, but I have never been able to make out what they say. It's just like how somebody else mentioned previously in this thread, people in a busy bar or cafe.
The voices bother me and make me feel on edge and irritable.

P

pinkmetalgirl

I hear different types of voices at different times

3 male voices (most of the time at the mo). They sound older than me, talk about me and sound like they're coming from somewhere behind me. Sometimes they're more like whispers, but at the moment they're quite loud alot of the time. The first time I heard them I really thought it was people speaking about me - although now I know that they're coming from me (even tho it doesn't sound or feel like it)

1 female voice (who mostly just screams - silently or loudly). She sounds quite young and it feels like she's very close to my right ear (so close I can feel her alot of the time)

I've also had different voices (especially when I'm confused/experiencing psychosis). This has included hearing people give progress reports on me (when I believed i had an implant in my neck) and hearing what I thought were lost souls from other dimensions swimming around me.

I've only ever had one internal voices. This was an alien that I believed was inside me. the rest I hear through my ears

Hope that helps :D

x PMG