• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Whats going on ?

C

cos

Founding Member
Hi

was supposed to start brilliant new job a few weeks ago, I had what I believe may have been a panic/anxiety attack. The result of this is that I did not even start the job and effectively lost it before I began. This has had a dramatically frightening effect on me which has forced me to focus on other panic / anxiety attacks that have interefered with my life for probably over thirty years now. Something is obviously wrong here, I dont know what, and I have been busy on the internet trying to get some answers.

I believe that I may be suffering from PTSD, I really dont know. Let me explain.

I had the most horrific childhood, both parents especially my Mother were extremely violent towards each other, my earliest memories are from about four years of age and vivid memories of violence between my parents. The police were often involved, it was so serious. I had to learn to call the police from an early age. The violence stopped when my father died when I was aged 17. He was seperated from my mother at the time and living in another house. I also now believe that my mother has been an un diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic all her life, and this has destroyed our family completely. I have another brother that was institutionalised for years he is now pretty ok but cannot come near his mother as her negativity will only destroy him.

I wont bore you anymore with the sordid details before and after my fathers :confused: death.

Is it possible that because of this childhood that I am now suffering from PTSD, I am now 47 and so panicy and anxious, I cannot even bear to answer phone, or even listen to messages on mobile. I am going to GP this evening, to discuss options. Well thats the story, if you read this, thank you. Hope someone can relate to this and advise.

D

Dollit

Hi Cos and welcome to the forum. We have sections for PTSD and anxiety but feel free to join in wherever you feel comfortable. We have some sections down in the cafe where we go to unwind and a lot of friendships have been formed down there. Let us know how you get on at the GP. :hug:

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Hello and :welcome: cos :)

Please feel free to join in any where .
Hope your gp appointment goes well , please come back and update us :)

C

cos

Founding Member
Thank you for your kind replies, much appreciated. I will keep keep you informed.

Talk again soon

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Hey there Cos, I'm no expert but what you describe would certainly make you feel a little unbalanced and I'm sure would qualify as trauma (and a half). Hope you find your stay here constructive :welcome:

C

cos

Founding Member
Crazy childhood.

Hi Guys,

thank you all for your kind thoughts and the warm welcome. I went to see the GP yesterday evening and explained my case as best as I could, I outlined how I was feeling at present. He agreed that, in reference to the new job scenario I more than likely had a panic / anxiety attack, however the doc stopped short of prescribing anything to help me sleep or help with the depression that I feel, he believes that I am not at the point where I would require any medication, he has however recommended that I consult a Psychologist / councellor, to discuss the issues dominating my life to date. I myself feel that it would help to offload the sordid details to a professional and see what they have to say.

At the present time I can only decribe the way that I am feeling as

"Maintaining a holding pattern"

I will keep in touch guys

Take care

D

Dollit

That's good new Cos, good luck with the counselling/psychology and keep us informed! :)

singingdollydaydream

singingdollydaydream

Founding Member
Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
Hello Cos

:welcome: to the MH forum, I hope you find your time here helpful and fun. You have certainly been thru trauma and seem to describe some of the symptoms of PTSD.

Well done for going to the doc, who sounds very helpful. I agree talking thru the trauma could prove helpful. Look forward to hearing how u get on :hug::flowers:

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Hi Cos

How's thing's going ?