What would you call this?

• Thread starter Dontknowdontunderstand
  • Start date
D

Dontknowdontunderstand

Hi all.

So for a long time I have always had this feeling in me and up until I found out about different types of mental health and their effects I thought my feelings were normal. Now that I pay closer attention I want to know if it is something minor (which it probably is, I don't mean minor as in a mosquito bite so to speak, but more so if it is worth visiting the doctor about.) Or not. So when I go outside a lot of the time it doesn't feel real. Like I know I am walking, I can see I am, yet I feel like I'm not. Sometimes it feels like floating. Sometimes I'll feel like nothing is real and that the outside world is just a picture in my imagination. Although as I write this, it's weird, I can't remember truly the feelings or what I thought, it just sounds stupid as shit like I'm making it up. Although I'm not it feels it?! Weird.

Anyways, what I'm trying to ask is, does anyone else get that when they walk somewhere? Or if they do a task? They don't feel like they're doing it, they're aware they are but it feels fake? If so, what is it?

WileyCat

WileyCat

Hi there. I think I do, but I'm not entirely sure. It feels like I go on autopilot at times. Other times I feel like a sudden cloudy-brain feeling suddenly hits and I feel like I'm in a dream and I get an overwhelming feeling of disbelief of my goings on. I thought it was normal, too, and only started acknowledging it recently. Is that also how you might describe your experiences?

D

Dontknowdontunderstand

Hi there. I think I do, but I'm not entirely sure. It feels like I go on autopilot at times. Other times I feel like a sudden cloudy-brain feeling suddenly hits and I feel like I'm in a dream and I get an overwhelming feeling of disbelief of my goings on. I thought it was normal, too, and only started acknowledging it recently. Is that also how you might describe your experiences?
That's exactly it!

Heidrun

Heidrun

I experience this almost every day. I was diagnosed with dissociation and that's basically what this is I think, although sometimes it's really bad (panic attacks that I might slip or 'be gone'). There are also days where dissociation is little and there are just a few moments in the day that I realize that I am dissociating. Sometimes I think it's all role play and nothing matters anymore, that I am already dead or that I am there to watch myself.

If it hinders you in anyway I think it's good to talk to professionals. They might be able to give you some tips on how to manage it.
:) good luck