• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

What were the very first signs of your schizophrenia?

H

HackySack

I just left a physically abusive relationship, and I am all alone with a broken body. It might be the lack of sleep, but this problem has been going on longer. Today, for the first time, my first day alone, I am clearly scared of the tv and I saw it follow me. It swiveled from left to right like it was watching my movement. I also think I keep hearing people walk up to my front door and just stand there and walk away. I am scared to talk to a professional because I don't want an inpatient situation. I do plan on finding a support group to deal with the abuse.

P

PastelKittenX

Born in Portugal, living in the UK (Norfolk)
My first symptoms were delusions, I was paranoid about my family and thought then the TV was talking to me and then believed in thought broadcasting. After delusions came the voices.

Kygoldy

Kygoldy

I suffered delusions too and then my voices came it sucks don't it I wish I could magic my voices away as there I never get a moment to myself

F

fivesatins

I was diagnosed late, early 30s, and it was confusion, distraction, voices.

There's way more, obviously.

But what I will say is my voices can be the funniest people in the world, it can all snap to shit, yes.

Make your judgement, I can deal with the bad shit hoodoo stuff a lot better knowing that at the other end I am the funniest boy in Christendom.

I can't live with anybody, mind, so take it for yourself.
If your voices ever give you any ooh my god laughter, protect them.

Turtle1980

Turtle1980

I started hearing background voices in the tv talking about everything I was doing then I thought someone was after me. Then the voices started about everything I was thinking.

M

Misssad1111

When I was around 10 I was worried everyone could hear something I said nearby,mI would worry someone could hear. I was obsessed with this boy that hardly gave me attention at 13. I slept a lot from a young age, I would sleep 15 hours at-least when I was 13.

S

Selfhealing

I'm not schizophrenic, but I hope this post will be valued by someone.
Amphetamine psychosis is said to resemble schizophrenia.
I used to get voices, not persecutory, and they were a novelty to me, also I used to see shadow people which were also a novelty.
I got admitted with drug induced psychosis when the voices turned persecutory and sexually predatory.

As a kid, I thought teachers or friends parents were talking about me - I reflected on this and wondered if it was some form of childhood psychosis, however I did get told I was hated when I was older and I was victimised, third parties even said.
I did not know, at the time, that I had Asperger's and Borderline Personality disorder, if I had of known, it would have helped me accept myself more and therefore not be picked on so much as I would have avoided toxicity in people.

RapblasterMaster

RapblasterMaster

Was Slowturtle
i am diagnosed schizophrenic but my experience was very real, the tv WAS talking to me indirectly, songs about me etc. I am only schizophrenic because no one believes me or wants to talk about it.

RapblasterMaster

RapblasterMaster

Was Slowturtle
if I had of known, it would have helped me accept myself more and therefore not be picked on so much as I would have avoided toxicity in people.
I can relate to this. We think its our fault, that things might change naturally. But people dont change towards you if you are a target.

S

Selfhealing

I can relate to this. We think its our fault, that things might change naturally. But people dont change towards you if you are a target.
I would not resigned myself for the rest of my life to be a target, the solution is to find personal boundaries and to give us energy that shows people that you are no longer target, and for any new people to meet, you need to show them that you are positive and protected so they will not tag you.

RapblasterMaster

RapblasterMaster

Was Slowturtle
I would not resigned myself for the rest of my life to be a target, the solution is to find personal boundaries and to give us energy that shows people that you are no longer target, and for any new people to meet, you need to show them that you are positive and protected so they will not tag you.
Its all a transfer of energy and people like to take your power. I lost my confidence and i learned to hate myself.
This is really good advice, thank you

F

fivesatins

I can remember going home wanting to destroy everything in my flat. Then realising none of it was mine, I had furniture from a donation place, my records were gifts, or from charity-shops, which is someone wanting to share, and then my flat itself, nothing was mine to destroy.

I sat and cried.

But schizophrenia to me is about extreme self-control. I've tried explaining it to psychiatrists, they don't get it.

There's 2 ways to change your situation:
Destroy everything
or Create

In my experience and opinion, schizophrenics put extraordinary energy into NOT destroying, very intense.

But the creation bit, it doesn't seem to work, we can make amazing stuff, but getting independent through it, it doesn't work.

So we're a bit fucked.
Which is a shame, cos we must definitely be a force to be reckoned with.

whyoverandover (was mirrorImage123)

whyoverandover (was mirrorImage123)

My first symptoms were voices, I had no idea until then.