• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What Type of Hallucinations are Worst?

Finite

Finite

This is my first thread here and I hope it's not too personal.

I have at different times over the past 22 years and in combination, experienced all the different types of hallucinations, but I was wondering what type you personally find the worst?

Visual (Things Seen), Auditory (Things Heard), Olfactory (Things Smelt), Tactile (Things Felt), Gustatory (Things Tasted) or Somatic (Things Felt Internally)

One of the worst experiences I have had was a combination of visual, auditory, tactile and somatic. I was on a 14 hour flight on a plane, when I was attacked from under the seat by some sort of gnarly creature. I could hear it snarling and could see it between my legs, as it frantically scratched at my skin with its poisonous talons. I kept stomping my feet trying to get it off me and squash it, but I could feel its poison coursing through my body paralysing me. It was a truly horrific experience.

As much as I struggle with the voices and visual stuff, tactile and somatic experiences are without a doubt worst for me.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
Much to his dismay my voice never learned how to do visual but he did learn all the others.

For me the tactile was the worst, my voice once created a brain splitting migraine and I used to have a broken tooth that he seemed to be able to set off by stimulating the nerve, I got over my fear of dentists pretty quickly after that and had it removed, he could also give me severe chest pain and pain in my upper left arm which made me feel like I was having a heart attack.

For a hallucination it didn't half feel like genuine pain, unlike any other I had felt in my entire life.

This is why I believe voices are connected to our central nervous systems.

Then there was the sexual abuse that I won't go into.

Finite

Finite

For a hallucination it didn't half feel like genuine pain
I know what you mean.

It would explain a lot if the voices are connected to the central nervous system, that'd give them free reign.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
And I believe they're connected to other systems.

The autonomic nervous system but the less said about that the better, the parasympathetic nervous system which I believe is to do with the bodies natural healing abilities so they can stimulate healing quite easily, this is where I believe Reiki and other faith healing abilities come from and I believe they're connected to the Endocrine system.

Finite

Finite

I hadn't considered that they could be connected to these areas before. I mean, I know they have free access to my brain, especially when it comes to memories and they can influence emotions and physical feelings, but I suppose I hadn't made the connection to specific systems.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
They know all our memories because I believe they've been with us and observing us our entire lives. Hiding in the background influencing us in subtle and at times not so subtle ways.

According to a book I read some philosophers have even called their kind 'hidden observers'.

In my opinion they're the worlds best kept secret. Only now are they being discovered due to people talking openly about their experiences.

K

karl7

This is my first thread here and I hope it's not too personal.

I have at different times over the past 22 years and in combination, experienced all the different types of hallucinations, but I was wondering what type you personally find the worst?

Visual (Things Seen), Auditory (Things Heard), Olfactory (Things Smelt), Tactile (Things Felt), Gustatory (Things Tasted) or Somatic (Things Felt Internally)

One of the worst experiences I have had was a combination of visual, auditory, tactile and somatic. I was on a 14 hour flight on a plane, when I was attacked from under the seat by some sort of gnarly creature. I could hear it snarling and could see it between my legs, as it frantically scratched at my skin with its poisonous talons. I kept stomping my feet trying to get it off me and squash it, but I could feel its poison coursing through my body paralysing me. It was a truly horrific experience.

As much as I struggle with the voices and visual stuff, tactile and somatic experiences are without a doubt worst for me.
personally i find command halluciantions the worst.....these hallucinations command me to do humiliating things in public and sometimes tell me to do dangerous things too......its a very tough illness

EdEd

EdEd

Never listen to a command hallucination , they stop after awhile.. it's happened to me at the very beginning of schizophrenia.. and at first I did a lot of stupid shit , listened and it caused my relationship and family to fall apart.. but after I got a better hold on it, I reforged that relationship and mended it on my own.. never listen to the command ones.. they leave after awhile... complete garbage.

EdEd

EdEd

Trying to find something that wasnt even real , went and looked for things that didn't exsist.. made me rather bitter.. dont get bossed around by the voices. Unless they have a valid point to act like do the dishes or something like that.. take out the trash , ect..

L

Lab rat

What’s the worst hallucination?

the one you believe.

for me, after a month long binge on flake and z dust, I was in the shower and noticed bugs all over my skin. Little tiny bugs. I started frantically trying to wash them off with no success. Then they all stopped crawling, and started to burrow. Then they started crawling under my skin, I could see the little lumps moving (this was years before the mummy came out)

when this happened, what did I do? Ran! Pure panic. I didn’t open the plate glass shower door, I just charged naked straight through it. Then down the stairs, through the front door and down the road.

‘you’ve got some explaining to do’ 😡

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I hear voices. A lot. For many years. It is horrible. It is a disability but it is rare that you get treated with due consideration.

John Lamb

John Lamb

Yeah command hallucinations can be powerful and difficult to deal with, I have only experienced these a few times but always found that they can be resisted and ignored once evaluated. Anything telling you to do something reckless or to humiliate yourself should be dismissed out of hand, regardless of the babble they say.

Voices have tended to just be irritating and drag the mood down.

I am not certain if I have experienced somatic or whether it was physiological but it did seem linked to my voice when it happened, pain on a scale of 10 out of 10 like being stabbed. Luckily it has been rare and fleeting. This has been the worse experience for me if it was somatic.

Finite

Finite

after a month long binge on flake and z dust
I'm not sure what flake and z dust are, but the experience you had from it sounded horrific.

I am not sure it strictly matters though whether you believe a hallucination or not, least not the visual and tactile ones anyhow.

Many many times, I have found myself trying to convince myself something isn't real or isn't happening, but it's never helped.

Finite

Finite

personally i find command halluciantions the worst
Yeah...Those ones can be really difficult and scary too. I hope you've found some different ways to manage them :) .

Finite

Finite

This has been the worse experience for me if it was somatic
I hear that. It is possible to evaluated and rationalise away a lot of things, but physical pain is a whole other ball game.