• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

what treatment snapped you out of sever anxiety and depression?

J

Johntron9999

ive tried exercise and diet but still everything is dark and gloomy. the depersonalization is at an all time. ive lost interested in EVERYTHING, im frusterated and mad all the time high. did you have to try multiple SSRI's? was therapy alone enough or not? which medications ended up working for you can you explain your experience?

A

Artist_in_quarantine

It seems you experience a lot of symptoms linked to depression. Since when did you start your treatment ? It usually takes a few weeks before medication start being efficient and for your mood to get better.

J

Johntron9999

It seems you experience a lot of symptoms linked to depression. Since when did you start your treatment ? It usually takes a few weeks before medication start being efficient and for your mood to get better.
i started treatment on celexa it worked for quite a few years and after trying upped doses and different ssri's and snri's im having no luck. the current SSRI im trying which is escitalopram has been given a full 8 weeks still no relief...

A

Artist_in_quarantine

I can only speak for my experience, but I find that medication on its own is'nt enough for me.
I use to think that I was gonna find ''the right thing'' and that I would eventually feel better forever, but after a decade of depression relapse and high anxiety, I have to conclude that to feel better you need a combination of things, and its a day to day job. In my case it is:

- A lot of self-compassion meditations
- Exercices to lower the fight or flight response such as yoga, streching
- Relaxation moments like taking a bath, smelling essential oil, watching a candle
- A gratitude journal where I only write my happy moments
- Therapy ! DBT works wonders for me, my diagnosis is BPD.

Is it biologically very difficult for the brain to perceive or remember positive experiences in a situation of depression, so it is normal you feel dark and gloomy. It is still hard for me right now but I'm working on a physical album of memories with pictures, good memories and experiences so I can look at it when I'm not able to access positive emotion by myself.

J

Johntron9999

I can only speak for my experience, but I find that medication on its own is'nt enough for me.
I use to think that I was gonna find ''the right thing'' and that I would eventually feel better forever, but after a decade of depression relapse and high anxiety, I have to conclude that to feel better you need a combination of things, and its a day to day job. In my case it is:

- A lot of self-compassion meditations
- Exercices to lower the fight or flight response such as yoga, streching
- Relaxation moments like taking a bath, smelling essential oil, watching a candle
- A gratitude journal where I only write my happy moments
- Therapy ! DBT works wonders for me, my diagnosis is BPD.

Is it biologically very difficult for the brain to perceive or remember positive experiences in a situation of depression, so it is normal you feel dark and gloomy. It is still hard for me right now but I'm working on a physical album of memories with pictures, good memories and experiences so I can look at it when I'm not able to access positive emotion by myself.
i have tried diet, exercise, meditation nothing brings down the flight or fight response. ive had severe depression and anxiety for years on end. ssris did bring me up to a level to where i could incorporate positive lifestyle changes and a safety net so i didnt feel overwhelmingly bad but they have completley stopped working. i know lifestyle can help but i think some people just dont have as healthy of brains on a chemical and neuronal level and they need medication or something else.....

A

Artist_in_quarantine

Oh I take medication btw for like 13 years, but I mean to say that I don't find that medication work on its on, I need much more than that to not feel depressed. You comparaison is corrected, some brains are not neurally or chemically balanced and need medication.

I compare it a bit to body shape, some people are born slim and remain slim effortless, while most people need a good diet and exercice to remain in good shape, and for other people it will be a constant effort of eating carefully and exercising seriously to be and stay in shape.

In our case, I think we belong to the third category. Things that work for most people won't be sufficient to maintain a good mental health, we kind of need the whole package.

J

Johntron9999

Oh I take medication btw for like 13 years, but I mean to say that I don't find that medication work on its on, I need much more than that to not feel depressed. You comparaison is corrected, some brains are not neurally or chemically balanced and need medication.

I compare it a bit to body shape, some people are born slim and remain slim effortless, while most people need a good diet and exercice to remain in good shape, and for other people it will be a constant effort of eating carefully and exercising seriously to be and stay in shape.

In our case, I think we belong to the third category. Things that work for most people won't be sufficient to maintain a good mental health, we kind of need the whole package.
yes i agree. what medications have worked for you and which ones did not? or did you find that could make you function?

K

Keesha

Long daily walks

A

Artist_in_quarantine

I was prescribed Wellbutrin 300XL and that is the only antidepressant I ever took. I've been taking it for 7 years and I had several severe depression episodes despite that, so I'm concluding that medication for me is not a certitude that I won't feel depressed. It gets me to fonction, but I have to use a whole lot of other strategies to maintain my mood. Recently I started taking Seroquel to help me sleep. I can't compare with other medications but I know from my Psychiatrist that people react differently to different molecules so I cannot say this medication is better than an other.

A

Artist_in_quarantine

In other words I don't think there is a way to 'snap out' of depression and anxiety. It's a day to day job and a long-term process that takes effort and commitment to feeling better.

J

Johntron9999

In other words I don't think there is a way to 'snap out' of depression and anxiety. It's a day to day job and a long-term process that takes effort and commitment to feeling better.
changing are lifestyle is deffintley something i agree with theres more to it than just drugs. but when your brain is just done and worn out and your in that pit, myself anyways i cant for the life me function, do dishes do laundry get groceries everything is just to damn hard. medication can give you the bump you need. theres alot of reasons people are depressed from certain brain regions being to active or not active enough. if someones depressed they could have an issue with only the frontal part of there brain where as another person whos depressed can have over activity everywhere in the brain or maybe just the amygdala... theres a bunch of medications to try and seeing how they all effect different areas you probably just need ALOT of trial and error finding the right one for you thats if you choose to take the medication route which you have. like the celexa i first took it worked but it was no magic bullet but it was a good improvement. if wellburtrin isnt working that great and it never did work that great to begin with than its probably not effecting your brain in the right way that you need it to

A

Artist_in_quarantine

Wellbutrin made a huge difference when I started taking it in 2011, I had relapses over the years when traumatic events happened in my life and I was diagnosed with BPD. Since 8 weeks I have been getting specific therapy for that and it makes incredible difference for me. Let us know what medication updates you get and if it helps you.

Catty5

Catty5

Even if I did quit Lexapro due to my health issue, Lexapro 10mg + Buspirone 5mg combination helped me keep a stable life. without serious depression or anxiety.
I also went to a gym 1-2 times a week.

B

BarbaraPendragon

Lithium, added to venlafaxine and mirtazapine, drove away my major depressive disorder. Plus I found two hobbies which I absolutely love, singing in a community choir and playing bridge, both are sociable and neither costs much.

J

Johntron9999

Lithium, added to venlafaxine and mirtazapine, drove away my major depressive disorder. Plus I found two hobbies which I absolutely love, singing in a community choir and playing bridge, both are sociable and neither costs much.
what is your diagnosis ? do you hav bi polar or? i heard alot of lithium really helping people out even if they dont have bi polar!