• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What to expect in a first psychiatrist appt.

M

mickeymoo

I know some of you have answered this in the update thread but I am really nervous and would like to be as best prepared as poss! What sort of things will they ask me. Are they going to make me fill out forms etc cos I just cant concentrate on things like that and anything else that might help me/make me not panic about it so much!!!?

dib4uk

dib4uk

well mickeymoo, for me they asked me questions about myself and my lifestyle which is to get a better understanding of my problems that im having. So the same thing can happen to you, but dont panic so much and just remember that they are there for you, and that they are working to make you feel better.

Good luck with it, tell us all how it all went.

M

mickeymoo

Its on Thurs si not long too go. I am feeling really nervous about it. Probably because Im going into the unknown!

Will they tell you what they think it is in the first session? Or can you ask them?

dib4uk

dib4uk

Some will let you know what they think is wrong with you, but the majority i believe will wait and see whats worng with you. Yes you can ask questions after all its your session with them.

If your problems are clear cut then of course you can ask them what is wrong with you, but, it gets complicated when you demonstrate a vast array of problems.