• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

what to do?

W

wtdafk

Hello,

My Girlfreinds dad has just been dionosed as phycotic. He had been an acoholic for some time before hand aswell. he was in a hospital for a few weeks but now he is out and about my girlfreind does not know what to do as he can no longer look after himself and has no hold on reality. He is no danger to anyone apart from himself but as my girlfreind is a student there is no way for her to pay for care or care for him herself.
What options does she have regarding finding someone to supervise him? and how would this be funded? he really needs 24 hour supervision even though he is the happiest man around! She has aslo tryed to get power of eterny but that will cost £100.

Thank you for you advice

D

Dollit

Is there a social worker assigned to her dad, or a CPN? If not she should be talking to his GP for advice. The GP won't necessarily talk about her dad but may be able to give her some options.

W

wtdafk

No no social worker, he was supposed to get a visit 3 times a day from someone from the hospital but that never happend, we are going to ask at the dss when we get him on benifit maybe they can help and acess him. hopefully there is something they can do

icetsunami

icetsunami

Founding Member
Has he got a diagnosed psychotic illness or is it a direct result of his drinking? I understand that Korsakoffs Syndrome causes dementia type symptoms and psychosis. Either way he should be definitely involved with alcohol services which can be accessed through his GP. He really ought to have a social worker too has he cannot manage his affairs appropriately.

[edit] Forgot to add that there is a section under which his affairs can be managed which obviously doesnt cost anything. He would also receieve the appropriate care but you need to consider how he and ultimately you, will feel about this. Obviously he needs to be assessed by two mental health professionals. I'd advise seeing the GP first, perhaps a joint visit if he is amenable.

Last edited:
W

wtdafk

Its just so strange for a person to be 100% ok in the head to go like this in less than 24 hours!
My Gf has been finding it hard to find out any info at the mo, When he was first admited he was said to be manic, symtoms inluded delosions, no sence of reality, always happy like he had the up side of bi pola all the time.My gf and her sis had to leave in the same order as when they came in to the room. and he thaught he had amnesia. He also thaught the whole thing was a conspirisy from the bbc show changeing rooms and they were doing his house.
The doc then said he was manic due to the fact he had stopped drinking and was not eating, they gave him lots of vitamins and let him out a week later. I still cant get a propper diognoses apart from being manic and phycotic.
someone from the hospital finaly turned up today and he has been admited again. I am not sure as yet if that means he was sectioned or not but apparently he can only stay at this place for two weeks max.
My gf really needs to talk to a doctor so hopefully she will see one tonight as she is visiting.

Cheers for the advice guys and sorry i coulden't find the spell check!

A

Apotheosis

Like the User Name wt da fk - I often tell myself the same thing. :)

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Its just so strange for a person to be 100% ok in the head to go like this in less than 24 hours!
My Gf has been finding it hard to find out any info at the mo, When he was first admited he was said to be manic, symtoms inluded delosions, no sence of reality, always happy like he had the up side of bi pola all the time.My gf and her sis had to leave in the same order as when they came in to the room. and he thaught he had amnesia. He also thaught the whole thing was a conspirisy from the bbc show changeing rooms and they were doing his house.
The doc then said he was manic due to the fact he had stopped drinking and was not eating, they gave him lots of vitamins and let him out a week later. I still cant get a propper diognoses apart from being manic and phycotic.
someone from the hospital finaly turned up today and he has been admited again. I am not sure as yet if that means he was sectioned or not but apparently he can only stay at this place for two weeks max.
My gf really needs to talk to a doctor so hopefully she will see one tonight as she is visiting.

Cheers for the advice guys and sorry i coulden't find the spell check!

Hope your g/f managed to find something out.

W

wtdafk

Nope still no news, they still dont know what the problem is, cat scan was normal and he has been sectioned for a month now so hopefully there tests show something. At least he is in a safe place.

Oh cheers had this screen name for years now and it still suprises me how many people dont get it:confused:

M

maudikie

To WDFK

I am sorry about your girl's father's illness, and the concern it is causing you.
Before he is discharged from hospital I suggest you make a list of contact who can be contacted quickly.
1. G.P.
2. C.P.N.
3. If necessary the housing Department.
4. His Social Worker.
5. Ensure that he is getting the Benefits he is entitled to.

Take care of yourself and give your girlfirend as much support as you can. Make sure she looks after herself as she must be very worried.

Best wishes.