• Hi. It’s great to see you. Welcome!

    Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life. Amongst our membership there is a wealth of expertise that has been developed through having to deal with mental health issues.

    We are an actively moderated forum with a team of experienced moderators. We also have a specialist safety team that works extra hard to keep the forum safe for visitors and members.

    Register now to access many more features and forums!

What to do with my sick younger brother...



New member
Oct 11, 2015
Hello, this is my first time posting and I'm not sure where to post this so if it needs to be moved to a different area that is fine. My younger brother suffers from mental illness (me and my family are pretty sure its schizophrenia, as it runs in our family) and refuses to be diagnosed or take medication. He is 27 years old and lives at home with my mom and dad and is very difficult to deal with. He has no plans to get a job and just walks around the house in his own world. He starts pointless arguments and screams and yells at my parents for not buying him cigarettes or something else ridiculous and is becoming very difficult to handle at home. Our family does not know what to do anymore.

My mom and dad do not want to kick him out of the house as it is their son and we all know he is not in his right state of mind and feel terrible about putting him on the streets in his condition. The police have not been of any help as they say they can't do anything unless a crime has been committed. My brother is causing incredible amounts of stress on our family and we all just want him to get better or at least stable but it seems every day he is having his outbursts when anyone tries to talk to him.

What are some options for my parents to help deal with my brother and get him to seek help? They do not want to kick him out of the house and say they could never forgive themselves for putting him out when hes this sick. My brothers problems are really taking a toll on my parents and I feel they are going crazy just dealing with him. Please help.


Jun 20, 2015

Your parents can request through a social worker for your brother to be assessed under The Mental Health Act,if he is found to be ill he can be sectioned and treated,usually with medication, he may be kept in hospital then until he has recovered enough to come back home.Your parents have to request this as nearest relative.

Nearest relatives' rights | Mind, the mental health charity - help for mental health problems

Obviously if you can convince your brother to go see a doctor voluntarily that may be best.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T People 25