• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

What to do when overwhelmed?

DiddyKong

DiddyKong

My mind is racing at the moment and I'm about to go find something to distract myself... I'm wondering though, what do you do when you start to feel overwhelmed?

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It really depends how I am mentally beforehand.

When I'm healthy as such I will try to get out for a walk, run a bath or play some sort of game when I am indoors.

If I'm outdoors depending on how bad it is, I will either try and grab a drink, play a game on my phone or just go and sit down.

If I'm not good it could be anything or nothing at all.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I think it depends on what you're capable of doing..
What I mean is, a film can sometimes be good but other times I feel like I can't concentrate for the full duration of a film, so it's not a good idea to start watching one.

My usual thing is to play free word games online, it's pretty good because it takes up your concentration and so your mind can't wander elsewhere.
I like to go on Pinterest too, look at cute/funny/inspirational pictures.
If i'm feeling lonely i'll put the radio on, so it feels like i've got some form of company.

Hope you find something that helps you, anyway. It's a good decision to try and distract yourself - better to try and nip things in the bud than deal with a disaster. :hug1:

C

Christobel

I found knitting very soothing but never managed to finish anything. Still that would not be the thing to recommend to a bloke from Oz! I also used to wind down in a warm bath, or is that also a bit girlie? guess you could cut down on the smellies!

DiddyKong

DiddyKong

The theme seems to be one of a distraction pertaining to how your mental stamina is at the time... I like that, it's just putting things into practice which is difficult for me (working on it)...
A warm bath is my style, I do like that idea...

D

Deliah

Distraction is great. Mindfulness techniques work fabulously well for me. Also, Kind self talk, self hugging, D x

D

Deliah

If you are in an environment which feels overwhelming for you, take yourself out of it. I have toilet breaks when I feel overwhelmed sometimes. Find a toilet and just breath for a while. Learn left right nostril breathing, it works wonders. Don't know what the official name is, maybe just yoga breathing or something. Very good anyway. Working on you breathing is the best thing you can do for anxious states. Being able to take your attention away from your mind and focus on slowing your breath is a wonderful thing to learn. The best thing a person can learn in my view and worth doing as a coping mechanism for life. D x

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
When I get overwhelmed I get violent, verbally abusive usually then as I get more stressed I smash things up :redface: when I get overwhelmed I struggle to think rationally. This embarrassed my boyfriend when we go out shopping as I'll start to rage at him too. Uhhh

T

TomGhanini

Listen to a song on my walkman, one I know all (well, most :redface:) of the lyrics to, and singing along kinda gets me a sense of control back. And maybe by the time the song is over the feeling of overwelmness has passed (or at least lessened) and I start working out how to deal with things. Currently listening to the Travis Barker enhanced Sonja Boi's Superman Track and hopefully by the time all that drum and cymbal crashings has finished my upstairs neighbour will have turned down his :curseyou: music.

megirl

megirl

I try some some of that self help stuff but often that overwhelmed feeling can be come out of control very quickly i would probably ring my support worker or one of his collegues who i find really helpful at these times. I st times need to be talked through what to do
I would try focus on one thing have a plan what to do somedeep breathing helps calm me also

coldwater00

coldwater00

When I was really really depressed literally nothing would help, and then when I started using nicotine patches my mood and related compulsivity/agitation and coping threshold has got so much better.

I like building nanoblock creations. It's basically mini lego "for adults" - it's something to focus on and can take up hours of your time. You just get lost in it and forget about the shitness of everything.

I also like to watch films. I enjoy buying DVD's and looking forward to sitting down to watching them in the evening, or I watch series or films on Netflix.

I find I can't concentrate on reading for long when I'm really down but I like reading magazines when I'm feeling better - especially science magazines.

Just the little stuff that helps.