What to do when an old best friend calls and you can't call her back?

S

star73

My best friend from childhood (30 years ago) called me a few days ago and left a voice mail and wants me to call her back and I about had a panic attack cause my social anxiety is that bad so needless to say I haven't called her back yet but I feel horrible about it. I don't want to hurt her feelings or anything but I can't make myself pick up the phone and do it. She knows I have social anxiety so I wish she hadn't called me and put me in this position to begin with but I know her heart is in the right place. The thing is too, that she always wants to start up a new friendship every time she does this every so many years and I never leave my house and don't really want people coming over here. Also, we live in a somewhat smallish town and I do have to go grocery shopping etc. unfortunately and am always worried I'll run into her. I don't know what to do and was hoping for some advice from someone who has social anxiety and might understand where I'm coming from. Thanks.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

Oh I have been in your situation.And I feel so bad about it.I sent my friend a message explaining things to her.Are you able to send a message rather than call?

S

star73

Yeah I can. I have sent her an email years ago and a text years ago as well but she doesn't give up...lol. I might text her again, I don't know yet. Thanks for answering me, I appreciate it.

N

Neverhappy

Eugh I can barely talk to anyone on the phone. I simply loathe it. Even friends of mine. Some of them know now because I joke about it. I can call up companies for things but not talk to friends. I often wonder if its because I like to see peoples expressions as they talk, but that cant be right as I can rattle on in messenger and text fine! Youre def not alone there!

S

star73

I know what you mean. I loathe talking on the phone. To anyone really but especially to people I know. It makes me nervous but then again most things make me nervous.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Social Anxiety Forum 5