• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

what to do to recover as much as i can asap after a huge binge

S

someotheruser

hello! been reading this forum for years now, but now i finally signed up to it.
im really grateful for everything ive read here and for the community on its own.

i am on recovery, on baby steps but i still have too many issues with it

ive had a long binge day, i ate a lot the entire day.
I wonder what i can do to make things not so tragic.

tysm 4 everything
tldr: what to do to recover as much as i can asap after a huge binge.

O

Orangeade

hello! been reading this forum for years now, but now i finally signed up to it.
im really grateful for everything ive read here and for the community on its own.

i am on recovery, on baby steps but i still have too many issues with it

ive had a long binge day, i ate a lot the entire day, but decided to not throw up, to only take laxatives, at least. to cause less and less harm to myself
however, im out of laxatives and just realized that now
i have so much to do tomorrow and i dont want to feel too uncomfortable while at it. and since i couldn't get rid of the bloating by purging it in any way, i wonder what i can do to make things not so tragic.

tysm 4 everything
tldr: what to do to recover as much as i can asap after a huge binge if i cant throw up or take laxatives?
Have you spoken with a doctor or nutritionalist about this?

S

someotheruser

Have you spoken with a doctor or nutritionalist about this?
i have! but i have been on my own for the past two years now. i think the answer would be to exercise, drink lots of water and take in fiber. that would be the safe answer and the right one. what wouldn't be what i was looking for tho, and i apologize for it 😅 tysm for taking the time to answer me

vxmpire

vxmpire

i feel you. i also have an ed (bulimia) i think some people on here don't so its so easy to be like "go to the doctor" "reach out, call this number" when all you want is people who understand. just try to get some rest if you can, make some tea as that helps with bloating, sip it slowly, listen to music or watch a movie. purging will only do more damage, i know how hard it is though. hope you feel better soon

Tawny

Tawny

Staff member
Forum Guide
i have! but i have been on my own for the past two years now. i think the answer would be to exercise, drink lots of water and take in fiber. that would be the safe answer and the right one. what wouldn't be what i was looking for tho, and i apologize for it 😅 tysm for taking the time to answer me

Perhaps you should regularly eat healthy filling foods that will keep you from getting hungry enough to binge. I see a binge, as a person without an ED, as when i let myself get so hungry that i want to eat everything. I see it as my body telling me it is deserpate for decent food, and if i just give it sweets, then it will keep me hungry until it gets what it really needs.

All i can think off hand is porridge. Perhaps if you eat this often, you want have those big crashes where you are starving and need to eat, eat, eat.

If you have indigestion, maybe you will not overeat again ;) i had too many mince pies over Christmas and felt so bad at night. Now i eat less mince pies. My body doesn't like more than about 4 in one evening :)

vxmpire

vxmpire

Perhaps you should regularly eat healthy filling foods that will keep you from getting hungry enough to binge. I see a binge, as a person without an ED, as when i let myself get so hungry that i want to eat everything. I see it as my body telling me it is deserpate for decent food, and if i just give it sweets, then it will keep me hungry until it gets what it really needs.

All i can think off hand is porridge. Perhaps if you eat this often, you want have those big crashes where you are starving and need to eat, eat, eat.

If you have indigestion, maybe you will not overeat again ;) i had too many mince pies over Christmas and felt so bad at night. Now i eat less mince pies. My body doesn't like more than about 4 in one evening :)
its easier said than done though. i think op is bulimic too but anyway coming from someone who is bulimic/has an eating disorder, eating porridge is super filling and so that would trigger me to want to purge etc .. i get what you're saying i really do but when you have an eating disorder its not as easy as eating less of a certain food to stop a binge. i've been full up but still binged... but then obviously you don't have an ed so you wouldn't get it

i've only joined this site yesterday so feel free to put me in my place but its quite sad how many responses people are getting especially on the eating disorder forums that are a bit too "logical" than sympathetic or understanding, i'm finding it really hard to tell if people on here also have eating disorders so we can all come together or if people just come on here without any mental health issues at all, completely normal to try and give the most logical, outside of the box answers. its just giving "if you have depression, cheer up mate go on a walk" or "if you have an ed, just eat a bit more". really strange as i was hoping this site would be more people who actually do have eds than just logical, not so understanding replies aaaah

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Staff member
Admin
Hi,
I have issues with binge eating so do understand how hard it can be.
My medication triggered my hunger and subsequent problems.
It’s great your in recovery with baby steps.

Tawny

Tawny

Staff member
Forum Guide
its easier said than done though. i think op is bulimic too but anyway coming from someone who is bulimic/has an eating disorder, eating porridge is super filling and so that would trigger me to want to purge etc .. i get what you're saying i really do but when you have an eating disorder its not as easy as eating less of a certain food to stop a binge. i've been full up but still binged... but then obviously you don't have an ed so you wouldn't get it

i've only joined this site yesterday so feel free to put me in my place but its quite sad how many responses people are getting especially on the eating disorder forums that are a bit too "logical" than sympathetic or understanding, i'm finding it really hard to tell if people on here also have eating disorders so we can all come together or if people just come on here without any mental health issues at all, completely normal to try and give the most logical, outside of the box answers. its just giving "if you have depression, cheer up mate go on a walk" or "if you have an ed, just eat a bit more". really strange as i was hoping this site would be more people who actually do have eds than just logical, not so understanding replies aaaah
I made it very clear i don't have an eating disorder, but maybe it is good that someone without one can also support someone. Maybe i can help in ways that you cannot.

It is better i post something than nothing. I have posted support to perhaps 50 people in the ED forum. I am sure the majority found my post a comfort that someone cares enough to say hello and try and help.

You need to do something else with that anger other than take it out on someone being kind on a forum. The more people there are being unkind, the less people will try and help and the less people will ask for support.

Perhaps i am unwell too. Perhaps my life is difficult too.

Be Kind. Always be kind.

vxmpire

vxmpire

I made it very clear i don't have an eating disorder, but maybe it is good that someone without one can also support someone. Maybe i can help in ways that you cannot.

It is better i post something than nothing. I have posted support to perhaps 50 people in the ED forum. I am sure the majority found my post a comfort that someone cares enough to say hello and try and help.

You need to do something else with that anger other than take it out on someone being kind on a forum. The more people there are being unkind, the less people will try and help and the less people will ask for support.

Perhaps i am unwell too. Perhaps my life is difficult too.

Be Kind. Always be kind.

lol i wasn't in no way being rude.. just saying like someone with an ed would rather get advice from other ppl that "get it" you know? never said you wasnt unwell or struggled with anything else, my original post was more generalised towards the whole eating disorder side of this forum but ok think what you want. have a good day/night wherever u are xx

Tawny

Tawny

Staff member
Forum Guide
@vxmpire sorry, I thought I had replied last night saying that I may have misunderstood.

I am a bit sensitive sometimes, I wasnt sure of your post as some points were absolutely true but some I took personally, like, suggesting to go for a walk.

I agree it is important re porridge, that more people with your knowledge and experience are here. There are many with an ED here but they seem to be too unwell to post other than when they are suffering and need support.

Sorry again for any confusion
Tawny